Quantcast
Tojiro 170 mm western Deba - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro 170 mm western Deba

Where did you get it from?

Got it from Chefs knives 2 go. They were out of the bigger one, but the 210 is actually a good size. I always struggled with splitting lobster tails, and the Western Deba made it easy. I originally wanted the shorter one, but 210 was fine. I couldn't find the Tojiro 170 Western Deba anywhere in the U.S.

I will go look now.

Excuse my jumping in here . . .

I'm also looking for a "bruiser" of a knife for some of the cutting jobs I wouldn't want to use my more refined gyutos for. Kind of regret giving away my old Wustie but it went to a good home. So, I've been thinking of either the Tojiro yo-deba or the Hiromoto AS gyuto. Opinions as to how the two compare in terms of chippiness and standing up to punishment?

The Tojiro is a much heavier knife. It makes my 8" 4 Elephants carbon Sabatier look like a lightweight slicer. I can't tell you about the AS knife, but I would not normally select that sort of blade to prepare my lobster dinner tonight. Perhaps someone who has more experience with the Hiromoto AS can reply.

Well they're both different beasts really. The yo deba is about 5mm thick at the spine where the hiro gyuto is like 2.something. I think out of the box the hiro is more on the tougher/workhorse side, certainly not a laser by any means. You can use it for heavier tasks but also for regular tasks and detailed work. The Yodeba is just a lobster crushing, garlic smashing, fish bone snapping, chicken destroyer.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

For lobster tails and that sort of thing, why not just get an inexpensive chinese cleaver?

Thanks for the replies. I think it'll be the Tojiro for me then.

So question here, how would this stand up to lamb ribs? Or some butchery work?

I can't answer questions about use on lamb or other meats like pork or beef. We eat fish, shellfish and poultry around here. I can say that the western deba is like a chef knife on steroids. The blade is thick and heavy. So far I have used it to split lobster tails for 2 dinners, 14 tails in all, with no chipping or rolling of the edge and it is still sharp. I just used a strop on it, but didn't really need to.