Finally ready to buy... Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergie

Reaction score
Hi All,

So the time has come. I've been bouncing around different forums and websites for probably 6 months as I finished my kitchen and am ready to drop $$ on new knives.
My last purchase "way" back was Global forged. Back then if you googled you got 4 choices. Global ,Henkels, Shun, Wusthof.
Holy crap how things have changed !! So ill get right to it
Below are the basics of what I want.
I will be buying 3 knives Gyuto/Santoku/petty.. but for this purpose I'm only looking at the 240 Gyuto as the others can most likely follow suit within the brand...off we go

1. Are you right handed? - right
2. What type of knife are you interested in?.. gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240 mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? - Stainless ONLY (carbonext??)
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Black Western ONLY
6. How much did you want to spend? - I don't have a restrictive budget so whatever fits "best perf/price ratio"
7. Do you know how to sharpen? - semi..no worries

Here is what I've seen so far in different price categories that seem to fit what I'm looking for.

LOW RANGE:
Tojiro DP
JKC KG-7
Fujiwara

MID
JKC carbo next
Togiharu INOX KORIN
Misono Moly

HIGHER
Masamoto VG
Kikuichi TKC
Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef

Im sure there's tons more and im open to any feedback.. so THANKS !

I can recommend the Masamoto VG series: laser like lightweight blade which is relatively easy to sharpen.

this is the 3rd flat out recommendation from 2 forums for this masamoto knife.
so far, tied with Kikuichi TKC

Hi All,

So the time has come. I've been bouncing around different forums and websites for probably 6 months as I finished my kitchen and am ready to drop $$ on new knives.
My last purchase "way" back was Global forged. Back then if you googled you got 4 choices. Global ,Henkels, Shun, Wusthof.
Holy crap how things have changed !! So ill get right to it
Below are the basics of what I want.
I will be buying 3 knives Gyuto/Santoku/petty.. but for this purpose I'm only looking at the 240 Gyuto as the others can most likely follow suit within the brand...off we go

1. Are you right handed? - right
2. What type of knife are you interested in?.. gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240 mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? - Stainless ONLY (carbonext??)
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Black Western ONLY
6. How much did you want to spend? - I don't have a restrictive budget so whatever fits "best perf/price ratio"
7. Do you know how to sharpen? - semi..no worries

Here is what I've seen so far in different price categories that seem to fit what I'm looking for.

LOW RANGE:
Tojiro DP
JKC KG-7
Fujiwara

MID
JKC carbo next
Togiharu INOX KORIN
Misono Moly

HIGHER
Masamoto VG
Kikuichi TKC
Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef

Im sure there's tons more and im open to any feedback.. so THANKS !

You should fill out the entire questionnaire before proceeding.

Konosuke is not a western handle... that is a MUST ..but thanks !

You're not looking hard enough:

https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/konosuke-hd2-gyuto-240mm-pakka-handle

k-gyu240hd2p_01.png

I'd add Japanese Knife Imports to that list, Gesshin Ginga/Suisin Inox perhaps, and for the top end of your budget, maybe a western Itonommon from Japanese Natural Stones... Some serious knives on both sites.

Have you considering Suisin Special Inox Black Handle Gyuto? a good all around, middle weight gyuto, Fit and finish is top notch!!

I'd add Japanese Knife Imports to that list, Gesshin Ginga/Suisin Inox perhaps, and for the top end of your budget, maybe a western Itonommon from Japanese Natural Stones... Some serious knives on both sites.

The Gesshin Ginga was one of my 3 top picks for a high end.. along with a masamoto ST and a Korin Inox.....I kinda reverted back to a bit more value.. but they are still not out of the running.

Have you considering Suisin Special Inox Black Handle Gyuto? a good all around, middle weight gyuto, Fit and finish is top notch!!

I had not..I overlooked that on korin.. I saw the korin inox but was turned off by the gold lettering..
That Suisin look awesome.

So now I think for a higher end, Im looking as just the gesshin and the Suisin...thanks !!

Also highly consider japaneseknifeimports.com. Jon is a forum sponsor and his service is fantastic. I've purchased from him many times. You certainly won't get this level of service pre or post sale from your last mentioned site.

Edit: I'm late to the party as JKi has already been suggested.

The western Konosuke HD are not currently in stock from Tosho or CKTG, BUT CKTG will be getting some more in the next month. The Kikuichi TKC will be 6 months. I just inquired about it :)

I was not aware there was more...please advise and ill be happy to :)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

The western Konosuke HD are not currently in stock from Tosho or CKTG, BUT CKTG will be getting some more in the next month. The Kikuichi TKC will be 6 months. I just inquired about it :)

Well, I will say, the TKC performance is nothing more than a carbonext with albeit a better finish. Still though, same knife, higher price.

Well, I will say, the TKC performance is nothing more than a carbonext with albeit a better finish. Still though, same knife, higher price.

I'm after the HD2 but thought I'd inquire about the TKC as well. Is there a big difference between the Kono and CN?

Haven't used an hd2 but I will say the original hd is a bit thinner than the tkc's and carbonext's I've used.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

In the AM bedtime now !!

I threw this onto a fresh request with the above...got my hand slapper for not completing :(

Kono HD is a fair bit thinner than the CN, but the CN is still pretty thin. I would buy the CN over the Masamoto VG any day (I've owned both) -- much easier to sharpen, better edge retention, a fraction of the price. The CN is a fantastic knife for the money and a great all-around knife. It gets a bit more of a dull-grey patina than the HD, but I always kind of liked that. If you really want a laser, get the Kono.

Back