Quantcast
Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process

Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process

I was on a search for a 240mm mid-price gyuto and after lengthy discussion the name Haburn knives was mentioned. Ian Rogers is the maker. Ian recently became Vendor here on KFF. After seeing his knives I dropped him an email and asked about pricing and waiting time. Both answer got me by surprise (no waiting time at that point and very reasonable price) - so I decided to pull a trigger on my first custom knife.

I thought I could share the "story" here and so here it comes.

Before I start I think it would make sense to mention the objectives. The outcome should be:
    - 240mm gyuto in AEB-L steel
    - the knife should be "stronger" than a laser and should not have too much flex.
    - The blade should not be taller than 50mm - in fact it will probably be a little less.
    - The handle will be based on some of Ian's designs. Details are not set yet.

The process started with Ian making a blade profile proposal. So far there have been 3 and if I will not change my mind it will be the third one.

So - the designs (to scale relative to each other) - currently it is the bottom one that should be made. The height at the heel is 47mm on all of these. The tip on the bottom 2 designs has the same position relative to the heel and is ca 22mm from the spine axis:

Please do not hesitate to share your opinion

EDIT: The belly of the blades continues up to the tip (I asked Ian) - it just looks a little flat in the tip on in the image. I checked it with Photoshop

I would choose the bottom profile.

Tough choice. I like the top and bottom, myself.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Tough choice. I like the top and bottom, myself.
    my thoughts exactly - #1 and #3 both look great. too much belly in #2, I think. I like the shape of the choil - similar to teruyasu fujiwara's shape - I always thought that was a neat addition.

I've found at 240-270mm I prefer a tip that drops a bit more (e.g. similar to the first profile), and this is very similar to the gesshin hinoura/ajikataya line at JKI. for me, it's a better feel when using the tip for detail work (where I use my index finger on the spine, rather than a pinch grip).

that said, I also really like the masamoto gyuto profile - which looks like the third one. Great all-around profile for me, and while I don't use my masamoto as much as some other gyutos, everytime I do I'm asking myself why I don't use it more often....

Glad to see you guys like the profile.

Here is a little update - choosing the design and material is tougher task that I though. While the design is still in works, the material was already chosen. So if everything goes fine this beautiful piece of Oregon Maple burl should be the main handle material:

I would choose the bottom profile, no. 3 that is...

Nice piece of handle wood!

Curious to see more!

I like 3 the most followed by 1 and then 2. Really like the wood. Not sure I like the pointed handle end.

agree -- 3>1>2. Well actually I would not want 2, but could live with 1.

So - most important design decisions were taken. In some 5-6 weeks the knife could be ready to be shipped

Keep an eye on this thread - Ian will keep posting updates on the progress here

3>2>1

Looking forward to the final product Matus!