Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on a search for a 240mm mid-price gyuto and after lengthy discussion the name Haburn knives was mentioned. Ian Rogers is the maker. Ian recently became Vendor here on KFF. After seeing his knives I dropped him an email and asked about pricing and waiting time. Both answer got me by surprise (no waiting time at that point and very reasonable price) - so I decided to pull a trigger on my first custom knife.

I thought I could share the "story" here and so here it comes.

Before I start I think it would make sense to mention the objectives. The outcome should be:
- 240mm gyuto in AEB-L steel
- the knife should be "stronger" than a laser and should not have too much flex.
- The blade should not be taller than 50mm - in fact it will probably be a little less.
- The handle will be based on some of Ian's designs. Details are not set yet.

The process started with Ian making a blade profile proposal. So far there have been 3 and if I will not change my mind it will be the third one.

So - the designs (to scale relative to each other) - currently it is the bottom one that should be made. The height at the heel is 47mm on all of these. The tip on the bottom 2 designs has the same position relative to the heel and is ca 22mm from the spine axis:

Please do not hesitate to share your opinion :)

EDIT: The belly of the blades continues up to the tip (I asked Ian) - it just looks a little flat in the tip on in the image. I checked it with Photoshop :)

I would choose the bottom profile.

Tough choice. I like the top and bottom, myself.

Tough choice. I like the top and bottom, myself.

my thoughts exactly - #1 and #3 both look great. too much belly in #2, I think. I like the shape of the choil - similar to teruyasu fujiwara's shape - I always thought that was a neat addition.

I've found at 240-270mm I prefer a tip that drops a bit more (e.g. similar to the first profile), and this is very similar to the gesshin hinoura/ajikataya line at JKI. for me, it's a better feel when using the tip for detail work (where I use my index finger on the spine, rather than a pinch grip).

that said, I also really like the masamoto gyuto profile - which looks like the third one. Great all-around profile for me, and while I don't use my masamoto as much as some other gyutos, everytime I do I'm asking myself why I don't use it more often....

Glad to see you guys like the profile.

Here is a little update - choosing the design and material is tougher task that I though. While the design is still in works, the material was already chosen. So if everything goes fine this beautiful piece of Oregon Maple burl should be the main handle material:

13141487653_e0b2cc2fe7_c.jpg

So - most important design decisions were taken. In some 5-6 weeks the knife could be ready to be shipped :knife:

Keep an eye on this thread - Ian will keep posting updates on the progress here :)

3>2>1

Looking forward to the final product Matus!

Glad to see you guys like the profile.

Here is a little update - choosing the design and material is tougher task that I though. While the design is still in works, the material was already chosen. So if everything goes fine this beautiful piece of Oregon Maple burl should be the main handle material:

13141487653_e0b2cc2fe7_c.jpg

Hey Matus, did Ian recommend that wood to you or did you have to source it yourself?

Ian recommended me the vendors (both are also vendors here on KKF). We then discussed what type of wood would fit the knife and what size will be necessary. That piece above is indeed on the larger side, but I just liked the structure & color.

So - I chose the wood, but Ian then ordered it directly from the shop. Had I sourced the wood elsewhere it would have been OK too - I just did not have the need (or means) to do so. It would also have been an unnecessary complication because I am located on different continent than Ian :)

Here I'm working on the shoulder. I'm using a diy guide to make sure the shoulder will be straight and flush when it meets up with the bolster.

6KoTJFvl.jpg

MMM...Blade is hand finished.

Tc3zbeHl.jpg

Milling the bolster slot.

hPpAeHRl.jpg

Oregon maple burl from Burlsource.

XJCG4CXl.jpg

Ian - you have made quite a progress. What will come next?
A cup of coffee and biscotti. Seriously. That. :hungry:
On the knife, I'll be attaching the bolster. Pics to come.

Sounds good. I'll have a cappuccino, "butterbezel" and a "quarktasche" as soon as our cafeteria will be opened at 8'clock. Sadly - it is still just 6:30 :coffeelove:

All this food talk is making me hungry.

Here is the bolster after some shaping.
JuPVGcEl.jpg

More shaping and hand sanding.
vDHp4Kyl.jpg

If I fits, I sits.
tonWPHml.jpg

I have just got an email from Ian, you know, THAT one :happy1: Expect some photos soon! :lol2:

You know, I really like Ian's style. It's one of the things that attracted me in the first place. Hope to see mine soon :). Let me know how it preforms.

What handle style is that?

It is hidden tang octagonal handle - taller than wider. Full tang would have required (according to Ian) slightly taller blade and made the knife more butt heavy (the second is my guess)

Once I have it in my hands I will definitely make a review and share it here.

@Ian - where is actually the center of mass of the knife?

Thats a beauty Ian!

This is going to be so much fun to use Matus, you probably can't wait to get your hands on it :)

It is hidden tang octagonal handle - taller than wider. Full tang would have required (according to Ian) slightly taller blade and made the knife more butt heavy (the second is my guess)

Once I have it in my hands I will definitely make a review and share it here.

@Ian - where is actually the center of mass of the knife?

Balance is between the "R" and the "N" on the logo. Weight is ~244 grams.

Back