honyaki petty??????

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menno

Reaction score
what' s the reason you often see honyaki gyuto or honyaki yanagiba but you never see honyaki petty???????

Not a traditional hocho pattern, like e.g. Yanagiba, Usuba, Deba.

Gyuto have become increasingly available because they are understandably popular, but are a relatively recent development. IIRC Salty had to request Masamoto and Mizuno to make him a Honyaki gyuto. These were the first from these makers (definitely from Mizuno) IIRC, and that was only a few years back. One of the first I recall seeing was the Ichimonji honyaki gyuto, prior to that. Another was Gator who had Watanabe make him one in Aogami, I think.

PS here are some honyaki petties

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...nife-honyaki-white-iii-steel-150mm-bl150.html

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...-knife-honyaki-blue-ii-steel-150mm-bl150.html

thats not exactly accurate... honyaki gyutos have been around long before internet forums existed... including ones from masamoto and mizuno

That's me told, haha.

Out of interest Jon, how popular are wa-gyuto amongst chefs in Japan?

what' s the reason you often see honyaki gyuto or honyaki yanagiba but you never see honyaki petty???????
A petty has a short contact area with the board, will get some abuse and get sharpened more than any other knife. All reasons to keep it relatively unexpensive. It will replaced quite soon.

That's me told, haha.

Out of interest Jon, how popular are wa-gyuto amongst chefs in Japan?

you see a lot more western handled gyutos among working chefs, but wa-gyutos are gaining popularity too. Higher end ones have always been popular, but many people have more working man's knives. Also, its important to keep in mind that its a cultural faux pax to have a nicer knife than your chef at work.

Well pretty sure I would be shunned if that were the case over here. I've always got the nicer knives :/. My previous chef laughed at me with my collection of knives when he had been using some German number for about 15 years. It more resembles a slicer than it does a chef's knife. When he borrowed one of mine to use once though he laughed a little bit less.

Back