Tall guys an push cutting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshua

Reaction score
Well over 6 feet tall, I've long lamented the height of the average prep table. I've found that as much as I believe in the push cut, I am much more likely to pull cut.

Is this a habit I developed because my large frame combined with my low tipped Carter, Fowler, and yanagi?

Any other tall guys get what I'm saying of is this just my bad form?

Six one here. I've found a 2" thick cutting board makes a big difference for me when compared to a more typical 1/2" poly or epicurean type board.

I'm 6' 4" I have a 2" cutting board, with 3/4" rubber feet. Helps a fair bit, could still use a tad more height.

I'm 130cm tall and cut on a phonebook on the coffee table. Works wonderfully.

I'm 6'1" and have noticed that when I use a two inch cutting board I push cut more often. I also am more tolerant of 240mm knives when the board is higher. When I am using the thin poly board I can't get comfortable using a knife under 255 and pull cut almost exclusively.

I am 6' 4" I love a dishwasher rack underneath my cutting board , sadly only have polys at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a previous thread someone mentioned that widening their stance helped to bring them closer to the board. It may be the case that it will take some time to develop the strength/ muscle memory to make it comfortable for long periods.

Yeah, widening your stance definitely helps, as does a taller cutting board.

Also, a good tall cleaver helps the situation immensely :D

6'1", can confirm pull cuts feel more natural on low prep tables.

Sure I can wide stance for 10 min of green onions, not useful for 12 hour shifts.

I find myself doing the wide stance. I probably do it more often than I am aware of.

In the end I'd prefer to cut with a wide stance and be ale to reach the top shelves over climbing on milk crates all day to get containers.

Have you tried stacking polyboards? Or multiple sheet trays underneath cutting board.
Cutting boards are hot commodity in my kitchen and the sheet trays are lot thinner and different than the ones I have used in US

Six one here. I've found a 2" thick cutting board makes a big difference for me when compared to a more typical 1/2" poly or epicurean type board.

same here... raise the prep area with thicker boards

2-3'' cutting board for me - basically a butcher's block. Level with the counter makes me pull-cut everything.

6'3" here. Lower tables can be a problem however I find most to be suitable with the proper stance and posture. Shoulder width stance, knees slightly bent, right foot about a foot back to open up the elbow clearance. If the table is just too low, you can always just slap a 200 or a 400 hotel pan down on the table with damp towels underneath and one on top with the cutting board on top of that.

agreed, use the same stance and it's easier to vary your height by bending your knees compared to widening your stance. I'm a spoiled sob though at home as my cutting area is height adjustable via a motor :)

I'm 6'5" and does the same thing while using regular height prep areas.
Normally I will put my cutting board on the kitchen table and sit on a regular chair. That helps with the situation..

When I did hotel work in Montana we had a French kid who on day one asked for a chair. On day two he was a bellhop.

FWIW I'm 6'5" and have no issues on an average restaurant prep station.

i'm 4'2" and i put guinness pint cans on the heels of my shoes just to reach over the prep station, and instead of pull cut, i do uppercut technique!

er...tomahawk?

I'm 6" 2" and I have a 3" butchers block board on top of my prep table. Helps me stand tall and cut.

Back