For playford

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Some of you might remember playford posting a thread a while back about needing someone to ship a knife to in the US-as the eBay seller would only ship US and playford is in the UK.
I manned up and offered to accept the knife to forward across the pond -a Sab slicer.
I did one just like this for Son not too long ago, his bore the stamp of Johnsons Overalls Sydney
This one is stamped : Veritable Breswick
I wasn't able to Google-Fu any information about this stamp though.
Anyway, the knife arrived in quite nice shape. Very little pitting or rust on the blade, the handle was in excellent shape as well.
I informed playford that it was nice, but it would eventually need a rehandle, as there's bound to be some icky nastiness under any of these old handles.
I'm kind of a sucker and volunteered to do it. I'm glad I did. The tang was in a lot worse shape than I originally thought. I removed as much rust as (comfortably) possible with the belt sander and did the rest by hand. Too much longer and this would've had to be turned into a hidden/partial tang knife.
Just goes to show you never know how bad it is until you get up underneath there. A lot of knives are just so disgusting in the handle area-regardless of the age.
I'll share some pics. I'm not done yet, but I'll update soon.
DSC_0003_zpsda1e2011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0004_zps027c11b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Before
DSC_0006_zps8c209c06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Up under them nasty scales
DSC_0009_zpsebc0744c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0012_zps96621561.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]After cleanup with the belt sander. Not pictured-final cleanup after hand-sanding
DSC_0009_zps545441fc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0010_zps33c68504.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0012_zps48031811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0014_zps6bf4ba99.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Scales glued and sanded with the first coat of tru-oil. Got a lot more work to do and a final polish and sharpening of the blade. Will share more when I'm done. Thanks for looking!
Thanks playford, this one's been fun. I only do this because I love it.

Nice work and :doublethumbsup: for helping out yet another member, looks like you re-profiled the handle a bit as well?

I wish I knew what the wood is!
About 95% of the wood I have has been very graciously donated by people like Mike Henry and Stefan. I like to refer to it as "Mystery Burl"!

Man, I've been hammered with the flu all week and this has just cheered me up no end. That's a keeper. :)

Massive, I am not worthy level of thanks go to knyfenerd for this, its just too much.

Latest posts

Back