The contest! The prizes - five end grain cutting boards.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmwood

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Andrei. I am a maker of end grain cutting boards. I am an owner and the only woodworker of “MTM wood” company, Russia. The company is located in the city of Izhevsk, in the east of the European part of Russia, near the Ural Mountains.
I make only end grain cutting boards. I've made about two thousand end grain cutting boards during last few years and I hope I have enough experience in this. I sell the boards only online. My website is mtmwood.com
You can watch the making process at my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/mtmwood?feature=mhee

I want the KKF members to evaluate my cutting boards. I made five end grain cutting boards and want to offer them as prizes to the winners of the contest. The boards dimensions are 18”x14”x2” (457x356x51 mm). They are glued with Titebond III, treated with mineral oil and beeswax.
The contest is very simple. The meaning of this contest is to predict how to behave other participants.
Each participant should evaluate the proposed boards in points. Then I count the average number of points given for each board. Participant who has values ​​that are closest to the average is declared the winner and receives the first board. Second gets the second board, etc.
Each participant has 100 points. It is necessary to distribute these points among the five boards, as you like. To do this, send me an email – [email protected] - pointing your KKF nickname and distribution of the points, for example: Nickname: 1-30, 2-25, 3-15, 4-20, 5-10. Make sure that the sum is equal to 100.
At the end of the contest I will determine the average number of points given for each board. Then I will calculate deviation in modulus from the average values ​​for each participant. The smaller the deviation, the higher is the place of the participant. If the results are exactly the same, winning the one who sent the email first.
Let me explain this with an example. Suppose five people participated in the contest. They distributed their points as follows.

View attachment 22786

The first participant rated first board 12 points, but the average rating of the first board is 19.2 points, so the deviation (Dev) from the average is 7.2 points. The first participant sum of the deviations of all the boards is 44.8. The minimum sum of deviation has the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] participant – 29.6. He is the winner and gets the first board. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place – the fifth participant (the sum of deviations – 30 points). He gets the second board and so on.
Applications are accepted throughout the week until midnight on March 19 UTC+0 (London – UTC+0; New York – UTC–5; Moscow – UTC+4). At the end I will announce the winners and will send the boards to the winners home addresses.

And here are the boards:

The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] board – Black walnut (Juglans nigra)
View attachment 22785
Distribution: Eastern United States
Average Dried Weight: 38 lbs/ft3 (610 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,010 lbf (4,490 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,580 lbf/in2 (52.3 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 5.5%, Tangential: 7.8%, Volumetric: 12.8%, T/R Ratio: 1.4

Walnut end grain cutting boards are good looking, very stable. It has a small shrinkage, what is very important for cutting boards. The disadvantage of walnut is its porosity.

The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] board – Hard maple (Acer saccharum)
View attachment 22782

Distribution: Northeastern North America
Average Dried Weight: 44 lbs/ft3 (705 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,450 lbf (6,450 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,830 lbf/in2 (54.0 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 4.8%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 14.7%, T/R Ratio: 2.1

The traditional wood for cutting board in North America. Hard maple is very sturdy and solid wood. Maple cutting boards are used for years. Hard maple is very different from European maple.

The 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] board – European oak (Quercus robur)
View attachment 22784
Distribution: Most of Europe, to Asia Minor, and North Africa
Average Dried Weight: 42 lbs/ft3 (675 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,120 lbf (4,980 N)
Crushing Strength: 6,720 lbf/in2 (46.3 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 4.7%, Tangential: 8.4%, Volumetric: 13.0%, T/R Ratio: 1.8

In my opinion, oak is the best wood for cutting board in Europe. It is stable, very durable, gentle to the knife blade. European oak is much denser and less porous than American red and white oaks.

The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] board - European ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
View attachment 22781
Distribution: Europe and southwestern Asia
Average Dried Weight: 42 lbs/ft3 (680 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,480 lbf (6,580 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,400 lbf/in2 (51.0 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 5.7%, Tangential: 9.6%, Volumetric: 15.3%, T/R Ratio: 1.7

Ash end grain cutting boards are solid and heavy. In its properties European ash is similar to hard maple.

The 5[SUP]th[/SUP] board – Hard maple with frame of black walnut
View attachment 22783
Thank you for your attention!

I wait for your questions and emails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to send you a link, but you are here. )

Welcome to KKF!!

That walnut framed maple board is just stunning!

Hello Andrei - I have recently discovered your work and I am very glad to see you here!

Welcome brother! the boards look amazing! I will be entering this contest after I read through the rules again.

Yes, Bill.
I send you email.
Good luck!

Welcome to KKF Andrei. I hope you have a productive stay here.

Yes, the attachmets disappeared. (
How can I edit the post?

sadly one downside here is the limited editing timers. you will just have to repost here, or maybe a mod can do it after you pm them the new links? I want to get in on this asap :)

Welcome too of course

sadly one downside here is the limited editing timers. you will just have to repost here, or maybe a mod can do it after you pm them the new links? I want to get in on this asap :)

Welcome too of course
I wrote to the administrator, but got no response. Yesterday everything was fine.
I'll repost if they do not resolve the problem.

Guys, I apologize; that was my fault. Andrei's vendor tag wasn't activated, so I closed the thread temporarily to see what the issue was. When It was re-opened the attachments apparently didn't come up. Andrei, you may have to insert them again.

If I don't get answer p/m's quickly, sometimes it's because of the time difference. I'm 13 hours ahead of EST.

Guys, I apologize; that was my fault. Andrei's vendor tag wasn't activated, so I closed the thread temporarily to see what the issue was. When It was re-opened the attachments apparently didn't come up. Andrei, you may have to insert them again.

If I don't get answer p/m's quickly, sometimes it's because of the time difference. I'm 13 hours ahead of EST.

I made a new thread. Would you please close the first one?

Hi Andrei,

Seen your work around about 6 months ago, good to have you at KKF! Thanks for offering the contest, really nice idea!

great looking boards thanks for the great chance to win one of your cutting boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back