Gyuto-suji WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haburn

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'll be posting work in progress pics of a custom gyuto for a forum member. Comments and questions welcome.

Here is the design that was decided upon, basically, I increased the heel height and shortened the blade of my current suji design.

ognQJFfl.png

I simply adhered my template to the steel.

VIIq798l.jpg

Grinding the heel cut-out, oat powered.

a8RimBsl.jpg

Profile almost complete, just need to clean up the neck/machi for a clean face when putting the handle on.

czQPmHTl.jpg

Looks good so far. I'm tempted to do a project with you too, but I haven't stepped up to request it.

No worries! Take your time, I'll be here. :)

Hmm wonder whose this is
I'm sure they're around somewhere. :wink:

Not to much to look at, but very important, the knife got heat treated and is ready for more grinding.

QoarLwvl.jpg

Moving up in grit - here it is at 120:

LiSTinpl.jpg

The blade at 400 grit and just got the logo etched.

FBkWqKKl.jpg

Time for hand finishing!

i0wDCW2l.jpg

The reconstituted stone for the spacers FINALLY arrived yesterday. The WIP continues.

Buckeye burl is ready to be cut up.
7bdHpokl.jpg

Two red spacers sandwiched by black G10.
UQzma3jl.jpg

The spacer set on the end along with the buckeye will get a dowel. Even though the slow cure epoxy is extremely strong having a dowel will increase the shear strength exponentially.
rZdWm8Ml.jpg

High tech glue up fixture. This actually does a great job, it hold everything in place but isn't so tight that the epoxy squeezes out.

tUfu5gKl.jpg

:slaphead: DUDE! That clamp is great!

Be well,
Mikey

Out of the glue jig and all squared up.

1hnUe3al.jpg

I took it to just about finish sanding and decided it just didn't work with the knife. Bah.

V2hT8qyl.jpg

New profile with a nice taper. Almost done!

Bnfimhzl.jpg

Latest posts

Back