2nd Wa, 1st Etch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Recently got my first nakiri. It's a Masakage Yuki, white #2, clad. Since the stock handle wasn't the best and i hadn't run my power tools in a few months, i decided to finally scratch an itch i had . My first re-handle was a Wa (almost a year ago!) and since then i had only done westerns. i was also eager to try an etch for the first time. I found a detailed "how-to" from Dave that was, of course, quite useful...ferric chloride and vinegar.
The handle is african blackwood with maple ferrule. Copper spacer.
i tried a mortised handle this time which was a bit trickier than the doweled technique on the first. i didn't get the tenon perfectly shaped for the mortise as you may be able to see below.
In any event...always fun!
all criticism is welcome!
thanks again
-Andre

before
mas-1_zps5e7c658c.jpg

after
mas-2_zps3b658a85.jpg

mas-4_zpsa5945b06.jpg

mas-3_zps5bf8e3e3.jpg

mas-5_zps7e1ae93c.jpg

Looks great to me! Handle looks slick, and the Etch looks sweet! Great contrast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good Andre. You can always get some dye(specially formulated) for your epoxy to match the color of the wood on the ferrule.
Nice etch BTW

Nicely done. I couldn't spot any imperfections from these photos. Just a nicely done handle with right size and right shape :)

hey thanks for comments all!
knerd
I'm currently using an epoxy that's grey (JB Weld). I'm guessing that a dye could only make it darker (which would have worked nicely for this knife...). would you suggest a light epoxy (or maybe clear) for the dye? How would i go about getting a specially formulated dye?
thanks again

Latest posts

Back