New attempt with the links to the pictures - The contest! The prizes - five end grain cutting boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmwood

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Andrei. I am a maker of end grain cutting boards. I am an owner and the only woodworker of “MTM wood” company, Russia. The company is located in the city of Izhevsk, in the east of the European part of Russia, near the Ural Mountains.
I make only end grain cutting boards. I've made about two thousand end grain cutting boards during last few years and I hope I have enough experience in this. I sell the boards only online. My website is mtmwood.com
You can watch the making process at my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/mtmwood?feature=mhee
I want the KKF members to evaluate my cutting boards. I made five end grain cutting boards and want to offer them as prizes to the winners of the contest. The boards dimensions are 18”x14”x2” (457x356x51 mm). They are glued with Titebond III, treated with mineral oil and beeswax.
The contest is very simple. The meaning of this contest is to predict how to behave other participants.
Each participant should evaluate the proposed boards in points. Then I count the average number of points given for each board. Participant who has values ​​that are closest to the average is declared the winner and receives the first board. Second gets the second board, etc.
Each participant has 100 points. It is necessary to distribute these points among the five boards, as you like. To do this, send me an email – [email protected] - pointing your KKF nickname and distribution of the points, for example: Nickname: 1-30, 2-25, 3-15, 4-20, 5-10. Make sure that the sum is equal to 100.
At the end of the contest I will determine the average number of points given for each board. Then I will calculate deviation in modulus from the average values ​​for each participant. The smaller the deviation, the higher is the place of the participant. If the results are exactly the same, winning the one who sent the email first.
Let me explain this with an example. Suppose five people participated in the contest. They distributed their points as follows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122281433/

The first participant rated first board 12 points, but the average rating of the first board is 19.2 points, so the deviation (Dev) from the average is 7.2 points. The first participant sum of the deviations of all the boards is 44.8. The minimum sum of deviation has the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] participant – 29.6. He is the winner and gets the first board. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place – the fifth participant (the sum of deviations – 30 points). He gets the second board and so on.
Applications are accepted throughout the week until midnight on March 19 UTC+0 (London – UTC+0; New York – UTC–5; Moscow – UTC+4). At the end I will announce the winners and will send the boards to the winners home addresses.

And here are the boards:

The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] board – Black walnut (Juglans nigra)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122456474/

Distribution: Eastern United States
Average Dried Weight: 38 lbs/ft3 (610 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,010 lbf (4,490 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,580 lbf/in2 (52.3 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 5.5%, Tangential: 7.8%, Volumetric: 12.8%, T/R Ratio: 1.4

Walnut end grain cutting boards are good looking, very stable. It has a small shrinkage, what is very important for cutting boards. The disadvantage of walnut is its porosity.

The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] board – Hard maple (Acer saccharum)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122457494/

Distribution: Northeastern North America
Average Dried Weight: 44 lbs/ft3 (705 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,450 lbf (6,450 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,830 lbf/in2 (54.0 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 4.8%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 14.7%, T/R Ratio: 2.1

The traditional wood for cutting board in North America. Hard maple is very sturdy and solid wood. Maple cutting boards are used for years. Hard maple is very different from European maple.

The 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] board – European oak (Quercus robur)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122179725/

Distribution: Most of Europe, to Asia Minor, and North Africa
Average Dried Weight: 42 lbs/ft3 (675 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,120 lbf (4,980 N)
Crushing Strength: 6,720 lbf/in2 (46.3 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 4.7%, Tangential: 8.4%, Volumetric: 13.0%, T/R Ratio: 1.8

In my opinion, oak is the best wood for cutting board in Europe. It is stable, very durable, gentle to the knife blade. European oak is much denser and less porous than American red and white oaks.

The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] board - European ash (Fraxinus excelsior)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122457974/

Distribution: Europe and southwestern Asia
Average Dried Weight: 42 lbs/ft3 (680 kg/m3)
Janka Hardness: 1,480 lbf (6,580 N)
Crushing Strength: 7,400 lbf/in2 (51.0 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 5.7%, Tangential: 9.6%, Volumetric: 15.3%, T/R Ratio: 1.7

Ash end grain cutting boards are solid and heavy. In its properties European ash is similar to hard maple.

The 5[SUP]th[/SUP] board – Hard maple with frame of black walnut

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120236945@N07/13122281013/

Thank you for your attention!

I wait for your questions and emails.

The 1st board – Black walnut (Juglans nigra)

13122456474_30bf319165_z.jpg

The 2nd board – Hard maple (Acer saccharum)

13122457494_60f79c2a0c_z.jpg

The 3rd board – European oak (Quercus robur)

13122179725_7fa7e64223_z.jpg

The 4th board - European ash (Fraxinus excelsior)

13122457974_898ca8d198_z.jpg

The 5th board – Hard maple with frame of black walnut

13122281013_73b033ac18_z.jpg

Very cool contest -- great looking boards too. Just sent my votes

I got all votes. There are 26 participants now.

Thanks for doing such a cool contest Andrei! Just sent mine in. And welcome to the boards!

Welcome Andrei, what a way of an introduction.

Sent my vote in, thank you for doing this.

Ferry

Hi,

I also sent mine, love this contest !

The video is quite informative and shows you have quite a workshop !

Laurent

Hi,

I also sent mine, love this contest !

The video is quite informative and shows you have quite a workshop !

Laurent

Thank you!
I wanted to show that the board were made in a right way.

Hi, Andrey, welcome here!
Today i was surprised to find you here- i " promote" you among my friends explaining that there is a good company there in Izhevsk/Russia making it! And the level is high!
I use myself some of your products. What i really like: the wall magnets. 80 cm long, nice stuff! I have a lot if really great knives, so it's very usefull. I needed the wooden version, because most of my knives are beautifully finished and i didn't want to scratch them with my existing metal wall magnets. Sure, i have the Sayas for it, but..
Now i have 2 of them , they are amazing! Next time i'll make a photo of my stuff on theses nice magnets.
Andrey, soon you'll get some good orders from my friends!! Be ready, man!
Good luck to you!
I do not participate because:
- i have your boards already
- other guys here should get them to try'em out!

Hi, Andrey, welcome here!
Today i was surprised to find you here- i " promote" you among my friends explaining that there is a good company there in Izhevsk/Russia making it! And the level is high!
I use myself some of your products. What i really like: the wall magnets. 80 cm long, nice stuff! I have a lot if really great knives, so it's very usefull. I needed the wooden version, because most of my knives are beautifully finished and i didn't want to scratch them with my existing metal wall magnets. Sure, i have the Sayas for it, but..
Now i have 2 of them , they are amazing! Next time i'll make a photo of my stuff on theses nice magnets.
Andrey, soon you'll get some good orders from my friends!! Be ready, man!
Good luck to you!
I do not participate because:
- i have your boards already
- other guys here should get them to try'em out!

Thanks, Andrey!
I am surprised that you have my cutting boards. Are you from Russia?
I can't make magnetic knifeholders 800 mm long because my CNC router table is 740 mm. But I can try to make it in two steps.

Thanks, Andrey!
I am surprised that you have my cutting boards. Are you from Russia?
I can't make magnetic knifeholders 800 mm long because my CNC router table is 740 mm. But I can try to make it in two steps.

Yep, Moscow.
Sorry, man, it's 600 long. I have no idea why i thought it was 800.. But they are good!
I needed the second one in cherry, but you had no cherrywood available at that time and i took the walnut
And a round rotating cheese board
I wanted to upload the photo, but this time it fails..i'll try later from another pc

Back