Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Time for a mini review... Gesshin Uraku 165MM SKD Santoku

  1. #1

    Time for a mini review... Gesshin Uraku 165MM SKD Santoku

    Haven't bought a new knife in years... was browsing JKI and came across this little thing




    Packing was over the top from JKI... EXACTLY WHAT ONE WANTS... SUPER FAST SHIPPING AND PACKED LIKE FORT KNOX AND FREE!!!!! Box was also wrapped in nice black gift/tissue paper and sealed with a JKI logo sticker... a nice touch. OK... on to the knife....

    OOTB edge was ok... nothing spectacular but it's a $125 knife... not expecting the world here. Ran it on some 5k grit paper and hard felt to get rid of the semi wire edge that almost all new knives have to some degree. Stropped on a little leather and it passed the MC Three Finger test (which is, as I have learned, as good as one needs in the kitchen). Cut up an apple on a cheap bamboo cutting board... obviously not through the core / seeds. Was very clean, had to use a little pressure cause the knife is a feather, I'd say a hair over 4oz at the most. The apple did stick to the blade though but it wasn't a huge deal. The edge remained shaving / 3 finger sharp even after heavy contact / rocking cuts on the board. Then I figured I'd up the ante... cut some hard sausage... about 15 thin slices. Washed the knife and the edge was still shaving sharp but the portion near the tip no longer passed the three finger test. This is to be expected because hard sausage isn't exactly the friendliest of items to cut with a very thin J knife. Granted this was a very quick analysis of this knife but if you want something thin and light and sharp... this is it. A STEAL @ $125.

    MORE PICS...








  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Portland, Or.
    Posts
    65
    Thanks for this. Nice to have you posting on the site again. I'd love to see you do a retrospective post talking about the brands/knives that people were excited about when you first got into knives.

  3. #3
    ...and a new rabbit hole is created

    Thanks for the mini-post, as well as the pics. I've been interested in purchasing a knife from this line.

    Gotta ask, what cutting board do you have? Link available?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the mini-review We need more of these quick-reviews around here... especially with the untold number of knives in our collective ownership
    Len

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by menzaremba View Post
    Thanks for this. Nice to have you posting on the site again. I'd love to see you do a retrospective post talking about the brands/knives that people were excited about when you first got into knives.
    yeah I was thinking about that... not sure where to post it though...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mistascoopa View Post
    ...and a new rabbit hole is created

    Thanks for the mini-post, as well as the pics. I've been interested in purchasing a knife from this line.

    Gotta ask, what cutting board do you have? Link available?

    Thanks.
    The board is from The Board Smith... it is Black Walnut

  7. #7
    I'm thinking about getting a knife from Jon...Mainly because I think his entry level price points have better handles than most other vendors I've seen. I believe the stainless version has a softer rockwell than the carbons. With a ceramic rod it should serve well as a good line knife.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Portland, Or.
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by vai777 View Post
    yeah I was thinking about that... not sure where to post it though...
    Just post it in the general thread. If the mods think it should be someplace else, I'm sure they'll relocate it for you.

  9. #9
    Retrospective look at a whole slew of knives that you've used? General forum is perfectly appropriate
    Len

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Retrospective look at a whole slew of knives that you've used? General forum is perfectly appropriate
    'I'll see what I can do...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •