pocket knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared08

Reaction score
What are some quality brands of pocket knife out there that won't break the bank? I see a lot of recommendation for spyderco. Not much else tho

I too have a few Opinels, and they are great for the money, but nothing beats easily flipping open a well made knife with one hand.

That being said, my edc is a Harner necker.

Spyderco: they have a nice variety and some interesting collaborative designs. Emerson knives are nice but more expensive.

Better suggestions can be made depending on your intended usage, style preferences, and past experiences.

Spydercos are initially off-putting because of the concessions made for the opening hole, and the generally funky handles. Like all knives/tools, they should be judged in hand if possible.

I carry a Spyderco Techno for light-medium cutting tasks (envelopes, cardboard, string, tape, shipping straps, and sharpening pencils). It's probably overkill for that, but I like the combination of tough, stocky build in a small but usable package.

You might give Blade Tech or Fox Knives USA a look also. They make great knives that are strong and user friendly.

Buck knives are good, either the very classic 110 or others, I quite like the Alpha Dorado personnally.

Everyone should have an Opinel too, seeing how cheap they are despite the quality. I usually sand the handle to a different shape and re-finish it with tung oil.

I recently started carrying a Benchmade Griptilian 550. I can't say enough about how nice it is. It's light for how tough it is, and very practical. It's stainless, simple, and precise. I got it for about $85 at a local outdoor store. Out of the box it was shaving sharp. A good friend of mine swears by Spyderco's, but was impressed with this little knife.

Cheers,

Jack

hard to beat a Benchmade griptilian at that price point.

most of my knives are Benchmade. bomb proof..and if you ever need anything from the factory..they actually come back better than when you sent them in..amazing service.

i sent one in because the blade was barely loose in the handle. they classified it as "extreme" and put brand new bushings in..extreme? i kid you not..it barely moved...those guys are anal. now it is solid..super solid. and it came back sharper than new..

I love my Benchmade 585. been meaning to get some new scales, probably my only gripe. Has an excellent assisted open, and is pretty rugged. I've dropped it tip down from a standing position onto a concrete floor with no consequences. The clip is opposite of other pocket knives I've had, which took some getting used to, but I'd never go back now. When you pull it outta your pocket its blade up, no flipping it over in hand before opening. Paid $120 at Cabela's.

The benchmades caught my eye. I was checking out a griptilian earlier. It's will be a general carry knife. Use it at work on cardboard boxes, zip ties.. around the house for whatever may encounter. Also something that can be carried in public placed.

I'll prolly grab an opinel just for the hell of it at that price. I'd like to get a spyderco zdp but as mentioned, the big loop to open it is off putting.

jared have a couple opinel carbons.The # 12 is the large one,I forced a patina with an artist sponge & use it for yardwork.It gets very sharp & is great for stripping bark off vines & plant,weeds,unwanted tree seedlings.Also to slit into the plant to apply herbicide.Take care of an empty lot that goes off when it rains alot.Also Anties property in the back of Pahoa high up in the valley almost rainforest things get out of control.

It is a steal on Amazon for around 20.00 & free shipping if you order couple other things.It is a nice long blade,in the locked position the handle is large enough to get a good grip.

+1 for Benchmade

They just came out with a drop point 531 Pardue. I already have 2 with the original spear-point and love them! They are so light that you do not notice them, 2 ounces. :doublethumbsup:

I have a few, Kershaw, CKRT, Ka-Bar, Boker, Benchmade, Gerber, Mtech, Browning and Smith and Wessons... It really depends on personal preference and uses, Benchmade and top end Microtech's are my personal favourites for folders...

I am a chris reeve fan at the moment but this will definitely break the bank. The Griptillians are really nice, light, colorful, in either small or large. If you can stretch a bit, have a look at lionsteel sr1 and sr2 in aluminum. You may not like the profile but they are kind of cool and quality is there and feel great in hand. I would also generally recommend not black coated blades cause they can getting funky looking fast with a few scratches.

lion-steel-sr-2-aluminum-folder-red-satin-sr-2a-rs.jpg

Back