Sous Vide So I got the Anova - what next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I had a little extra in the toy budget and picked up an Anova. Wondering what else I need to get the most out of it.

I have a few different sized Cambros, at least one of which I'll do a cut out in the lid. Think I'm good there.

I've a good strip sealer that I've used for Sous Vide but am ready to make the jump to a chamber sealer. I've spent some time reading older threads here. Is the VacMaster 112 at 600 and change (Amazon) still the most bang for the buck?

Also looking for a cookbook, some time/temp charts, etc. Saw the MC at Home but I've never spent a hundred bucks on a cookbook before. Most interested in lamb/beef, vegs, some confit. No interest (at this time) in foams, powders and the like.

I've already done some soft poached eggs per the instruction manual and have short ribs in the fridge. Any guidance on above or on anything I've missed will be appreciated.

Look at vac master 210. Lot more sealer for not much more. Same guts as 112.

Dave, I've had the VP112 for two years now and its killer, sure I've had to replace a few lids due to hairline cracks but vacmaster sent them me at no cost or hassel. The VP112 is larger than the 210 and more conveinent for the home. When i first started doing SV I got caught up with times and temps. First, SV is most impactful with proteins over veg. To the end:

Chicken and Pork always at 140 degrees. Light meat = less time in sv but same temp

Beef always at 129 degrees, again tender cuts less time, tougher longer time.

thats really all there is but let me know if you have any other questions.

I had a little extra in the toy budget and picked up an Anova. Wondering what else I need to get the most out of it.

I have a few different sized Cambros, at least one of which I'll do a cut out in the lid. Think I'm good there.

I've a good strip sealer that I've used for Sous Vide but am ready to make the jump to a chamber sealer. I've spent some time reading older threads here. Is the VacMaster 112 at 600 and change (Amazon) still the most bang for the buck?

Also looking for a cookbook, some time/temp charts, etc. Saw the MC at Home but I've never spent a hundred bucks on a cookbook before. Most interested in lamb/beef, vegs, some confit. No interest (at this time) in foams, powders and the like.

I've already done some soft poached eggs per the instruction manual and have short ribs in the fridge. Any guidance on above or on anything I've missed will be appreciated.

If you haven't yet, get "Under Pressure" from Thomas Keller. It's a good jumping off point.

Daveb, if you don't mind me asking, what sealer do you currently use? Do you like it? I was thinking about getting one of the smaller vacmaster sealers but I detested my foodsaver and am looking for alternatives.

Thanks all for the input so far. There is room for more...

@Theory - "Under Pressure" is on the way. Thanks for the rec.

@ Erilyn - I replaced a failed FS with a Cabela's sealer that has worked very well. I think Weston makes it. I'm going with a chamber unit so that I can get wet with marinades and confit.

Dave, I've had the VP112 for two years now and its killer, sure I've had to replace a few lids due to hairline cracks but vacmaster sent them me at no cost or hassel. The VP112 is larger than the 210 and more conveinent for the home. When i first started doing SV I got caught up with times and temps. First, SV is most impactful with proteins over veg. To the end:

Chicken and Pork always at 140 degrees. Light meat = less time in sv but same temp

Beef always at 129 degrees, again tender cuts less time, tougher longer time.

thats really all there is but let me know if you have any other questions.

MB, why so high on the temps for chicken/ pork? Ive been doing pork ribs at 130 and been pleased. The time/temp charts say it's pasteurized in 2-3 hours @ 130.

What gives?

MB, why so high on the temps for chicken/ pork? Ive been doing pork ribs at 130 and been pleased. The time/temp charts say it's pasteurized in 2-3 hours @ 130.

What gives?

Probably for texture. You get different textures at different temps. I find chicken at lower temps still looks a bit pink/raw although I know it's safe to eat. I go higher so people in the house wouldn't be scared to eat it lol.

Agreed Talim. Z you could get away with 130 for white breast even pork loin. For the darker muscles I like higher temp with less time. The analogy is to think of muscle proteins as springs. The greater the heat the more the spring coils. The greater the coil the more juices are squeezed out of the muscle. The hydrogen bonds in the protein are (denatured) and the spring uncoils and the meat gets soft again.

Sous Vide cooks by denaturing the protein (break the hydrogen bonds) without squeezing (coiling the spring) out the liquid. Temp vary with muscle type ( fast twitch vs slow twitch, white meat vs dark meat) and across different animals. White fish denatures at 107 while blue fish will take ~135.

For St Louis ribs I like a hot 1hour sous vide treatment at 225 after an hour of humidified smoke. Some call this the Texas Crutch. Will denature a lot of hydrogen bonds without breaking too many. Ribs are a lot trickier than people realize. Sure they're good cook briefly (grilled) or many hours in the smoker. Personally I like my ribs when the meat still holds the bone when separated. Falling off the bone is preferred for BBQ chicken though.

Got it! Thanks for the detailed response...as always :)

Agreed Talim. Z you could get away with 130 for white breast even pork loin. For the darker muscles I like higher temp with less time. The analogy is to think of muscle proteins as springs. The greater the heat the more the spring coils. The greater the coil the more juices are squeezed out of the muscle. The hydrogen bonds in the protein are (denatured) and the spring uncoils and the meat gets soft again.

Sous Vide cooks by denaturing the protein (break the hydrogen bonds) without squeezing (coiling the spring) out the liquid. Temp vary with muscle type ( fast twitch vs slow twitch, white meat vs dark meat) and across different animals. White fish denatures at 107 while blue fish will take ~135.

For St Louis ribs I like a hot 1hour sous vide treatment at 225 after an hour of humidified smoke. Some call this the Texas Crutch. Will denature a lot of hydrogen bonds without breaking too many. Ribs are a lot trickier than people realize. Sure they're good cook briefly (grilled) or many hours in the smoker. Personally I like my ribs when the meat still holds the bone when separated. Falling off the bone is preferred for BBQ chicken though.

Thanks all for the input so far. There is room for more...

@Theory - "Under Pressure" is on the way. Thanks for the rec.

@ Erilyn - I replaced a failed FS with a Cabela's sealer that has worked very well. I think Weston makes it. I'm going with a chamber unit so that I can get wet with marinades and confit.

Thanks, I'm going to check that one out as well. You're "supposed" to be able to seal marinades and wet stuff with the FS but it never worked. Biggest waste of money. Would love to have a chamber, not sure I could talk the husband into that investment though lol

Thanks, I'm going to check that one out as well. You're "supposed" to be able to seal marinades and wet stuff with the FS but it never worked. Biggest waste of money. Would love to have a chamber, not sure I could talk the husband into that investment though lol

I posted this in the other Sous Vide thread. You can get a newer FoodSaver with the stop vacuum/seal function which works fairly when sealing bags with liquids or you can use the method below.

I don't own a sous vide cooker yet, but I have tried partially freezing liquids I would put into FoodSaver pouch and then vacuum seal the pouch with my FoodSaver while the liquid is semi-solid. You could completely freeze the liquids but I imagine it would be a pain waiting for it to defrost before you throw it in a sous vide cooker otherwise your cook times would be off. I have completely frozen packages and leave them in the fridge to defrost when I leave for work so I can cook them later. I used this method primarily for marinades and it works fairly well. Its a pain in the a** but it does allow you to get liquids in FoodSaver pouch without sucking it all up.

I will probably get a newer Foodsaver that has the stop vacuum and seal function to avoid having to do the above. I believe the lowest model is the V2244 which has this function and can be had for about $70 dollars new on Amazon or less if you buy the damaged box ones.

Does everyone do short ribs as their first sous vide meal? I did these at 140F for 48 hr per Chang's recipe. Cooled them in two stages then in the fridge until the next day. Seared then removed in cast iron, carmalized some peppers and onions until almost a jelly consistency then added ribs to heat through. Served over risotto. Did not suck.

View attachment 22992View attachment 22993

For the sealer segue, I've used a few FS models and could not suck all of the air out of the bag. This results in floating bags and inconsistent product (for me). The Cabellas sealer will pull every bit of air out and the bags will submerge. Chamber sealer will be next. PS had a new model on display at recent food show in Chicago. Will look at it but the Vac 112 is at front of pack.

Attachments

• 2014-03-21 20.59.37.jpg
    2014-03-21 20.59.37.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2014-03-21 20.55.40.jpg
    2014-03-21 20.55.40.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 112
Does everyone do short ribs as their first sous vide meal? I did these at 140F for 48 hr per Chang's recipe. Cooled them in two stages then in the fridge until the next day. Seared then removed in cast iron, carmalized some peppers and onions until almost a jelly consistency then added ribs to heat through. Served over risotto. Did not suck.

View attachment 22992View attachment 22993

For the sealer segue, I've used a few FS models and could not suck all of the air out of the bag. This results in floating bags and inconsistent product (for me). The Cabellas sealer will pull every bit of air out and the bags will submerge. Chamber sealer will be next. PS had a new model on display at recent food show in Chicago. Will look at it but the Vac 112 is at front of pack.

Looks good Dave!

RE vac sealers...now that I have a vast amount of experience with a chamber vac (starting last Friday :nunchucks:)...what I've noticed is that edge sealers take the air out of the bag, chamber vac takes the air out of the food. It was amazing to watch the marinade for chuck roast boil at room temp. Game changer for sure....no more floating bags.

Dave which model did you get from Cabela's? The commercial grade 15" one? They have several to choose from.

Is that last sentence an intended understatement? Or does it mean that you went through a fair amount of time and effort to make something that was decent but not outstanding?

I got the Sansaire, but have yet to do ribs or anything with a really long cook time. Steaks, fish, and veggies have been good. Chicken breast has been very good, and so far a thick cut pork chop has been arguably the most impressive--it was very juicy and flavorful. Quite different from baked, roasted, broiled, or fried pork chops.

@ 29 Palms. I have this one w 15" sealer bar. Item: IK-540035 It's no longer on website but may be through customer service or bargain cave. It looks like they've upgraded it to include holder for a roll of bags and released it with new model number. Good call.

2014-02-13 16.28.34.jpg

@ Todd. "Does not suck" is more than understated, it may be ultimate compliment.

Dave, is there a marinade in the bags? If so, did you have to partially freeze it first so it didn't suck it out?

E, Yes there is marinade, albeit a small (2-3T) amount. Primary seasoning is with dry rub mix of S&P. No I did not have to freeze it, position sealer near edge of counter, hang bag over edge - with some support - insert top of bag in sealer, and push start. Some juices may come through but not enough to worry about. Above is for part time catering gig, we do this couple times a month, though usually smaller amounts.

Been having fun with Anova. Made "best" salmon mom ever ate. (She says that a lot but I think this time she meant it). Many poached eggs. Pork belly is going on tonight for Pork Kakuni per Serious Eats.

Unpacked the VP 112 today and used it to seal 1/2 belly with 1 cup + stuff marinade. Reaffirmed that physics works, liquid will boil under vacuum. I knew the theory, I've even read about chilling product and liquids. But I was too clever and thought if I used the vitamix to incorporate sugar into the soy/mirin it would warm it up and ensure sugar was dissolved. Now I know reality and it's not pretty. Still cleaning.

For S&G the other half is in same marinade and I'll put it in the smoker to compare. If I had a third half I would braise it like the traditional recipe calls for. Next time.

Dave the trick with the chamber and liquids is to make sure you remove as much air as possible in the bag before sealing. Sometimes I'll remove a spacer plate inside to raise the sealer above the bag. Lastly, try to place the bag on the sealer so that is can breath. So that when it does boil, the pressure in the bag can escape as opposed to pushing the liquid out.

Also, get the liquid as cold as possible. sometimes I'll stand over the unit and when I see the liquid start to creep toward the opening, I'll press the STOP button and it will seal the bag and release the pressure before leakage occurs.

Back