Sous Vide Anyone sous vide corned beef?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't made this in some time, but my mother loves it. Was thinking SV might improve something that's usually kind of blah. I've had a flat cut brisket curing for a week. Any thoughts on temps?

yep- I've done it a couple of times, but I think 160F at 30h was where I found best results. I tried lower, and that was good too, but didn't do it long enough to break down the collagen sufficiently.

let us know how it works for you

That sounds about right. I've heard of 136 for longer time which has more flavor but less tender or maybe vice versa. Either way will do.

I have never tried it Sous Vide but I am not sure there would be any significant advantage over cooking it at a low simmer in an aromatic broth.
The biggest mistake most people make is not soaking it before cooking,or not soaking long enough.

Soaking is an important step to do, apparently even myself I do skip that sometimes to make the dish quickly but in the end it is definitely not worth it. 136 always works for me very well. :cheffry:

Interested to hear what recipe you settle on here. I love corned beef, but very hard to find a quality product in AR.

Am I doing it wrong:scratchhead:
cornedbeef_01.JPG

:lol2:

Nope, looks fine. Plan on a long cook time.

I don't have 30 hrs so I'm trying mine at 175 F for 10 - 12 hrs. Old school crock pot with DSV controller here and Ziploc Vac bags. I soaked it in two changes of cold water overnight and added a little olive oil, pepper corns and bay leaves on the fat cap.

Final run was:

1 week dry cure. 12 hours wet brine. 30 hours at 145F. 4 hours at 155F. Full cool in cooking liquid. Reserved cooking liquid to steam potatoes and carrots (yes steam). Reserved potatoes and carrots, added cabbage to cooking liquid (not steam), set meat on bed of cabbage to warm while cabbage cooked. Results were great. Meat was very moist, very flavorful and pull apart tender without being flaky.

Final run was:

1 week dry cure. 12 hours wet brine. 30 hours at 145F. 4 hours at 155F. Full cool in cooking liquid. Reserved cooking liquid to steam potatoes and carrots (yes steam). Reserved potatoes and carrots, added cabbage to cooking liquid (not steam), set meat on bed of cabbage to warm while cabbage cooked. Results were great. Meat was very moist, very flavorful and pull apart tender without being flaky.

+1 Always let braised meat (pot roast, holiday brisket) cool in the braising liquid.

A little off the sous vide topic, but relating to corned beef. Last night we had dinner at my MIL's house. She made corned beef, and after the initial cooking she dried it off, and glazed it with red currant jelly, then baked it for a further half hour. It was terrific! And something I hadn't tried before.

A little off the sous vide topic, but relating to corned beef. Last night we had dinner at my MIL's house. She made corned beef, and after the initial cooking she dried it off, and glazed it with red currant jelly, then baked it for a further half hour. It was terrific! And something I hadn't tried before.

wow!!

i'm braising one in the oven as we speak. i'll take a peek in a couple hours and add some small potatoes and carrots. while the roast rest, i'll do the cabbage.

What was nice about it was the fat didn't render and the liquid was very flavorful. I trimmed the cap and seared it in a pan to crisp up. I will do this again no problem.

Another easy to follow recipe Neil. Thanks. I'm a pretty good cook but you're something else. I'm from Plymouth, MA and usually vacation around the four of July for week. I'd love to get together and do some cooking. Thanks again. sorry Mods. for the diatribe.

dennis

Final run was:

Some kind of Norse thing? I knew a Swedish girl who used to do the same thing with lingonberry preserves. Tasted great.

I know nothing about this....but I'm very interested in it...can you share the details on your dry cure and wet brine?

Final run was:

Back