Knife stores in NYC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrenB

Reaction score
My wife and her sisters are heading to NYC for a break in June, I am going to see if she can pick up 1 or 2 bits for me while she is there to save the shipping costs to the UK, maybe a stone or 2 if she isn't too keen on sticking a knife in her suitcase:(
I see that Korin is in the area, any other stores worth a visit?

Depends on what you're looking for, there are also cookware stores with some good knives: Broadway Panhandler, JB Prince, Bowery Kitchen

Depends on what you're looking for, there are also cookware stores with some good knives: Broadway Panhandler, JB Prince, Bowery Kitchen
Would say definitely a stone or 2, not exactly sure yet, need to see how much stuff she packs in her case as well first, might have to slide a couple of pairs of shoes out without her noticing:ninja:

mtc kitchen is also there; never checked it out though so I can't tell you much about their stock or selection

mtc kitchen is also there; never checked it out though so I can't tell you much about their stock or selection

Haven't been there in a while, but they were pretty good. I believe they carry Tsukiji Masamoto, and will also do in-house engraving on the blade.

Korin would still be the best bet though.

I spent 3 years cooking in NYC. Korin has the best selection, but it's expensive and some members of the floor staff are rude and condescending. The other stores mentioned have pretty generic selections.

I spent 3 years cooking in NYC. Korin has the best selection, but it's expensive and some members of the floor staff are rude and condescending. The other stores mentioned have pretty generic selections.

Where would you suggest to go to pick up a couple of stones? Still deciding which ones to get at the moment.

Sounds like pretty much everyone in NYC.

Not necessary Dave.

I'm pretty sure Dave's comment wasn't meant as an affront to anyone...just some humor that didn't come across well. I worked & lived in the City on and off for a good many years, and yeah, there are plenty of a-holes but they're not the majority.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Korin got their staffing issues sorted out as well.

Have fun in NYC Warren.

The prices at Korin are pretty much the industry standard prices for the brands they sell - Suisin, Masamoto, Nenox, etc... Togiharu (their house brand) has a bunch of affordable quality options plus you get a free initial sharpening with a purchase. As for staff being rude, never seen it and they have no qualms showing you and letting you handle any of the items in the display cases. Never really go deep into their stone selection minus a cheap King finishing stone.

If you want something a bit different check out Gotham West Market - http://gothamwestmarket.com/ Upscale large format style food court w/ a bunch of sick restaurants with set ups - The Cannibal, El Colmado, Ivan Ramen's Slurp Shop, etc... along with The Brooklyn Kitchen having a store with kitchen goods and some selection of Knives to purchase

I'm pretty sure Dave's comment wasn't meant as an affront to anyone...just some humor that didn't come across well. I worked & lived in the City on and off for a good many years, and yeah, there are plenty of a-holes but they're not the majority.

Have fun in NYC Warren.

I am stuck back here, the mrs and her sisters are going to NYC for 5 days and then on to Mexico for 9 days:( oh well 2 weeks to myself can't be all bad:biggrin:

The prices at Korin are pretty much the industry standard prices for the brands they sell - Suisin, Masamoto, Nenox, etc... Togiharu (their house brand) has a bunch of affordable quality options plus you get a free initial sharpening with a purchase. As for staff being rude, never seen it and they have no qualms showing you and letting you handle any of the items in the display cases. Never really go deep into their stone selection minus a cheap King finishing stone.

If you want something a bit different check out Gotham West Market - http://gothamwestmarket.com/ Upscale large format style food court w/ a bunch of sick restaurants with set ups - The Cannibal, El Colmado, Ivan Ramen's Slurp Shop, etc... along with The Brooklyn Kitchen having a store with kitchen goods and some selection of Knives to purchase

Thanks for the info:doublethumbsup:

Have fun in NYC Warren.

LOL, yes was just a joke. I live 20 minutes outside NYC and I get there a decent amount, I've probably been there over 500 times over the years.

Doesn't come close to reflecting the experience at Korin. I've spent hours there on many, many occasions, often without buying a thing. I've touched anything I've ever asked to without hesitation. I've had ample access to Master Sugai regarding my sharpening preferences. I lived in NYC for 5 years, and firmly feel they are on the high service, low ******** end of the NYC store spectrum.

Back