Kramer Auction - June 2011

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
What, nobody has posted about this yet?

If you would like a damascus Bob Kramer knife, do not want to wait indefinitely, and your wife will let you cash in your house's equity on a couple knives, head on over to Kramer's site and bid with all your financial might!!

Ends in 1 day, 11 hours. Currently at $15,100. But the reserve has been met!

Brand New Damascus Pattern

Scorpius Mosaic Damascus
8" Chef Knife and 5" Utility Knife
European Style with Snakewood Handles

For Sale

This auction includes a brand new Scorpius Damascus 8" Chef's knife with a matching 5" Utility knife, and a handmade Hinoki and Cherry wood Kramer Cutting Board.

A certificate of authenticity and warranty will accompany each knife. Thanks for looking.

The Knives

This is a brand new mosaic pattern, never attempted before. This is a blend of high performance tool steels, hardened and tempered to 61 HRC. The Scorpius pattern took 3 days to create the steel alone. This process is very labor and material intensive, involving stacking, forge welding, grinding, re-stacking and so on.

A Note about Mosaic
These knives are made using a technique called Mosaic Damascus. This technique allows us to create far more controlled and intense patterns than we would be able to make otherwise. While these knives are fully functional and are meant to be used, we would categorize them as functional art. They do not possess the same level of extreme flexibility as seen on the Kramer Knives segment on CBS. This knife is built to cut fruits, vegetables, boneless meat and fish. It is not meant to cut bolts, bones, frozen food, coconuts and especially not frozen coconuts.

The Board

This was handmade in the U.S.A exclusively for Kramer Knives. The wood is all end-grain cut and artfully assembled with a beautiful Hinoki cutting area and Cherry wood border. It is 18"W x 24"L and 1.5" thick, with a 5/8" juice groove on one side.

Hinoki is the perfect cutting surface because it is very forgiving on knife edges while hard enough to last a lifetime. Its oils are known for their antibacterial properties, which is why Japanese Sushi Chefs consider Hinoki the ultimate cutting surface. The Cherry wood border will darken and become more beautiful as it ages.

Donation

We donate 10% of the final auction price to a charity from the Donations page on our website. The winner is welcome to choose.

Payment & Shipping

We accept e-check via PayPal or wire transfer for payment. We ship UPS 2nd Day Air as soon as payment is confirmed (it's on us).

Thank you for your interest in my work.

Bob Kramer, Master Bladesmith, ABS.
(360) 455-4357

And some pics for those who haven't seen 'em and don't want to register or login:
chef_flat.jpg

utility_side.jpg

utility_flat.jpg

cutboard.jpg

He does make nice blades .
who's buying those knifes rich foodies .

Wait, so the cutting board isn't even made by them? What the....

I like a lot of Kramers damascus patterns, but this one is too much for me to look at.

One slice with that knife - eyes get red

Two slices - oculogyric crisis

Third slice - status epilepticus

-__-

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is an artful knife, which the pattern that Bob made is awesome and complex. It shows how much can be achieved through twisting, bending and folding of metal. In that respect, it is a beautiful knife.

I'll agree with that!
Too busy for some, but a great display of what can be done with Damascus

While these knives are fully functional and are meant to be used, we would categorize them as functional art. They do not possess the same level of extreme flexibility as seen on the Kramer Knives segment on CBS. This knife is built to cut fruits, vegetables, boneless meat and fish. It is not meant to cut bolts, bones, frozen food, coconuts and especially not frozen coconuts.

Oh my, looks like hes had some Darwin Awards winners for buyers lately.

this knife cannot cut frozen coconuts? :scratchhead: Well then I'm glad someone beat my $14,500 bid :rolleyes2:

Especially not frozen coconuts!

What's it up to? I'm not about to give Kramer my card number to find out.

Still a reasonable $16,100. 13 hours and 17 minutes left to sell your kidneys!

53 bids.

It must be a damn good feeling to sit back and watch that number rise.....I envy Bob. :)

How many millionaire foody's can be out there?? This has to stop at some point no?? Maybe 10 years from now but the Kramer craze has to come to a end some day, don't it?

Also anyone think of another maker who is consinstley getting this kind of cash for there work? Or is BK the most successful knife maker ever!

How many millionaire foody's can be out there?? ...

NYC has over 650,000 people whose wealth exceeds a million and that doesn't include value of their recidences. I am sure many like to entertain, have bragging rights, and genuinely like to cook. So, if BK makes 200 knives a year, and markets himself right, he can go on making knives for a long time. :)

Unless we barbarians start chipping away from his kingdom. Will have to 'civilize' and learn some of his methods. And make better knives in the process.

M

I think there are 2 different types of Kramer fans.
1-People who love great knives,food and love to cook,who will wait 2-3 years on a list and spend $1500.00 + on one of his customs.

2-People who have tons of disposable income,who may or may not have a passion for knives,that buy these knives as an investment, because there is a buzz about his product and want to jump to the head of the line.

Lucky for Mr.Kramer that he has both type of fans.

Also anyone think of another maker who is consinstley getting this kind of cash for there work? Or is BK the most successful knife maker ever!

There are definitely are makers out there that get this kind of money for their knives. The BIG difference is that they cannot produce nearly 200 per year as Bob Kramer does and they often use materials that are much more expensive such as precious metals and stones. One big exception is the Loveless Shop, they were producing knives from 3500 to 25000 for decades and using fairly inexpensive material. Bob Kramer is ultra hot right now but he has a long way to go before he is considered the most successful of all time.

What is it? I tried to check but it didn't show the completed auction.

Holy moly! How many bids? For some reason the auction page redirects me to a page that does not display the auction results.

Got it:

This listing is closed.
June 2011 Auction

Current price : $51,200.00 ( Reserve met )
Starting bid: $100.00
# of bids: 78
Closes: Auction is closed
Ended: 6/24/2011 10:00:00 AM
High Bidder(s): ll****

Yipes. They ain't getting cheaper!

Holy moly! How many bids? For some reason the auction page redirects me to a page that does not display the auction results.

78...I'm actually getting a knife tattooed right now and was trying to show my artist that 300 for a knife isn't that much but that was a really extreme example...where do these people come from and how do I get that job

Back