Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Stones - Soaking vs Splash'nGo - Some Info

Administrator

If you can't see it in "preview", no one else can see it either. Dropbox works for me. Some help available in "support forum"

Older and wider..

let me make another try:

still didnt work... the link should have been this:
    https://i.imgur.com/rAWvUvg.jpg

like this:

and soaking stone is the answer... well technically, the red side should be soaked and the tan size is a resinoid based splash and go stone, but both sides can be soaked... just make sure to dry the tan side as slowly as possible (wrapping with a damp towel helps)

Thanks for the info!!

I found in IMGUR where to look for the right DIRECT LINK, thanks for your patience!
    One has to click on the photo and it gives you a popup window with all the links on the righthand side
    I guess the one I should use is DIRECT LINK.
    I just learned thanks!
    I just dont understand why you have https:// and they give http:// ?

Hi again,
    I just watched your flattening stones video and it is very informative and well-done thanks!
    Unfortunately, you dont talk about sand paper in it, what do you recommend for me to flatten my 400 Naniwa?
    thanks again in advance!

I'm thinking of moving from a King 1k/6k combo to gesshin stones. The 3 gesshin stone set is attractive but are soaking stones. I dont mind soaking for 15 minutes, but I am questioning the proper drying aspect. Would it be ok if I wrapped each stone in a damp cloth towel and put in an uncovered plastic tub to dry? Or is there more to it than that?

The 3 stones we have in the set are not hard to deal with... no wrapping... just take em out of water and leave em until they're dry. Heck, you can even stick them in the oven at a low temp if you want. They're ceramic stones... they'll be fine. The splash and go set is different though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    The 3 stones we have in the set are not hard to deal with... no wrapping... just take em out of water and leave em until they're dry. Heck, you can even stick them in the oven at a low temp if you want. They're ceramic stones... they'll be fine. The splash and go set is different though.
    Great news. Thanks.

I thought resinoid stones couldn't be permasoaked. The Superstones by Naniwa are resinoid and are splash and go, but they could be permasoak too? I thought they would fall apart like the choseras, though I know the choseras are magnesia.
    I need Answers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ABranson View Post
    I thought resinoid stones couldn't be permasoaked. The Superstones by Naniwa are resinoid and are splash and go, but they could be permasoak too? I thought they would fall apart like the choseras, though I know the choseras are magnesia.
    i wouldnt recommend soaking them, but you can. They are already soft and get really soft when soaked. Its not great for them.