first knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
I have picked up a serious interest in cooking over the last few months, and I am looking for a good quality gyuto to use as my first knife. I am also planning to get some sharping stones to sharpen with.

I would be looking for the below in a new knife.
1. Value for money.
2. Performance (sharpness/edge retention).
3. Ease of sharping ( beginner “ may take it to a professional once a year if needed or I screw up )
4. Looks ( doen’t hurt)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Gyuto
Are you right or left handed? Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese ( wouldn’t mind learning on them, I think would be easier to move to western than the other way around)

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 400$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home, I currently have no

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) everything except breaking bones. ( may use one of the old ones for that or get a cleaver later on)

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Have no good knifes at all 

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch ( trying to learn) 

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cut. ( my current knife don’t have a lot of clearance so very slow cutting things)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

in order

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) getting an end grain chopping board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) no

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Saw the mizuno tanrenjo hontanren gyuto on tv travel show, how good is it?
Also saw Devin Thomas custom on his website ( no idea how good are they and what price? They looked nice thou).

Hi rami_m, welcome!

For a first you have a hefty budget i think. I'm predicting future here but i believe it will boil down to get some good starter knifes/knife like the CN or similar and then get a stone or two. Thing is most don't stop at one good j-knife it grows on you =). Its more than just the knifes its caring and sharpening and cutting with styles you are not used to but you will learn and probably like it. Dont be fixed on finding "the" knife you can always sell it and get another/s.

Hi rami_m, welcome!

For a first you have a hefty budget i think. I'm predicting future here but i believe it will boil down to get some good starter knifes/knife like the CN or similar and then get a stone or two. Thing is most don't stop at one good j-knife it grows on you =). Its more than just the knifes its caring and sharpening and cutting with styles you are not used to but you will learn and probably like it. Dont be fixed on finding "the" knife you can always sell it and get another/s.

Thanks. its my birthday present from the Wife :). I am planning to get some stones and what not but want to start with a solid knife. BTW what are CN knifes and how does it compare to the above 2?

CN are Carbonext, a well regarded budget line of knives. http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html I'm sure the knives you mentioned are fantastic, as are hundreds of others sold by various retailers. The question is which knife is the perfect knife for you? Unfortunately there is no answer to that question at this point in time. You do not have experience to know what you like and what you don't like in knives; and there is no substitute for that experience. I agree with Toek that you should not spend $400 at this point on an awesome knife that may all wrong for you. If I were in your position I would purchase a 1000 grit stone, a paddle strop, and two reasonably priced gyutos that are very different from each other. Maybe a 210mm western-handled stainless with a pronounced belly and a thickish grind and a 240mm wa-handled with a flatter profile and a thinner grind. Then you will have a good idea of your likes and dislikes. Don't worry, the beginners knives are light sabers compared to what most people have in their kitchens.

hmm, so what do you suggest? the CN looks to be pretty flat.

I have no personal experience with Mizuno Tanrenjo knives, so can't comment on those. Devin Thomas knives are awesome, but way above your budget.

It all comes to personal preferences. Last summer I was in similar situation as you. Bough myself Konosuke HD2 gyuto and still use and love it. Since then I've tried other knives, but I still like how thin and light my Konosuke. Haven't had any problems with rust or patina even thought I can't say I wipe my knives often. Edge retention is good… compared to my other knives at least. I sharpened it 2 or 3 times.
So I'd easily recommend Konosuke.

Other knives that are often being recommended are Hiromoto AS (western handle), Gesshin Ginga (often out of stock), Carbonext (OOTB edge is a lottery… can be good or terrible), Tanaka blue№2 (nice value, but would need some more care) and many other options. There are lots of great knives that fits your budget, so plenty of choice for you.

hmm, so what do you suggest? the CN looks to be pretty flat.[/QUOTE

Truth be told, I have used very few of the knives discussed on this forum. I would ask John Broida from Japanese Knife Imports. He is a member of this site and has his own subforum.http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/16-Japanese-Knife-Imports I have not dealt with him personally but he is known for answering all questions thoroughly and honestly; often downselling customers or recommending they buy products from other retailers if he believes that is best fit. Good luck with your search.

thanks i will pm him :). I think my heart is on the mizuno at the moment. what do you think would be a partner knife to go with a gyuto?

I am planning on getting a couple. hopefully someone can point me to the right direction.

Konosuke HD2 is very nice knife. Some people might no like the flex it has, but for home cooking it is not an issue. The only downside I can think of, is that the food sticks to it. Never the less, F&F, lightness, ease of sharpening and the cutting ability compensate for that.

@The Anti-Chrysler
yea, agree but too many instances of someone upgrading for that size from a smaller one. have lots of counter space so would mind learning to handle big knifes :)

Any idea on the Mizuno? I think I will be getting it.

Hontanren Series Wa Gyuto (Cladding blade. Blue Steel #2 core sandwiched with soft iron)
Not sure if soft iron or stainless steel clad

I have a Santoku in Blue #2, kirouchi finish (Yaxell), and I love it. Easy to get wicked sharp, easy to keep sharp. I'm a little too po' for Mizuno, but they sure look like nice knives. Sure haven't heard them badmouthed.

Thanks. I feel better about forking out the money now. I was a bit worried about whether I could sharpen it or I would ruin the knife.

I'm no master sharpener by any means, and I can get my blue #2 freaky sharp. I bought the three stone starter set from Dave Martell, and after the progression I finish up with a wood-backed leather strop. After setting the initial edge, it hasn't been back to the 500 grit stone, only the 1200 and 5000.

What's a leather strop how to you use it? And where do you fine one?

Mizuno's are great knives.

Consider a Masamoto KS as well if you're buying from Koki. I do find Mizuno's blue cladding a bit more reactive than the KS for whatever reason.

Konosuke would be great if you like thin knives. The HD2 is a semi-stainless.

I quite like the KS as well. We will see. I am not sure I like light knifes.

I second the Masamoto KS suggestion, it's just a fantastic knife. I don't have a lot of experience with other knives to compare it to, but it's super sweet.

I recently had my hands on a Sukenari Ginsan Gyuto as well and that was a pretty fun knife and a lot of bang for the buck but the handle is very underwhelming. The F&F of the blade was really solid though, probably needs some choil rounding for a pro kitchen but very serviceable for home use, the spine is very nicely rounded. I personally prefer a flatter profile though, but the steel was incredibly responsive on my little King combo stone.

Not a laser, the spine is somewhat thick and although light it's got some weight to it, but well balanced and very thin behind the edge.

Those would be my two suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming :)
Having a lot of fun here

Looked up Dave don't think he posts to Australia. What do you think of koki's combo stones?

Don't put all your eggs in one basket -- consider buying a cleaver as well. This cleaver is well worth the low price of entry, and would be a great way to find out if you like cleavers or not.

Latest posts

Back