Knife recommendation for trimming meat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
For years I've used a Wusthof boning knife to trim the fat of steaks and such. Though I've always kind of hated using a knife that can't get very sharp, it is somewhat flexible and as such has been appropriate for the task. That knife has now finally bent beyond repair, and I'd love to replace it with something better. I have a nice petty (Kono HD 150mm) that can do the task, but I'm nervous using it for this as the last thing I want is for it also to get bent. Any recommendations for a good, somewhat flexible, knife suited to this task? Wa handle preferred but not necessary.

Trim fat off steak? What the heck for? :D Seriously though, I use a honesuki or a paring knife if trimming individual steaks.

150 petty or honesuki

As I mentioned, I have a 150 petty, but it wasn't designed to be flexed, and I don't want to risk bending it. I've never used a honesuki, but I had the impression that they were generally pretty stiff. Any specific recommendations for a knife made to flex a bit?

I use a Sabatier carbon 6" fish knife for exactly this purpose. What they list as a filleting knife, or 15cm Filet de Sole.

It has a fair amount of flex and gets very sharp. They of course make a specific boning knife, as many do, but it's very stiff. I like the flex of the fillet knife, particularly for things like frenching small racks like lamb.

The European désosseur has some flex, just as the Danny's Wüsthof, just because it's thin at the spine. Honesukis are very stiff indeed. All will depend on the amount of flex you're looking for. I find the filet knife a little too flexible and harder to sharpen because of that.

Just noticed that he who may not be named has a boning knife in AEB-L. May consider.

I never understand the flex thing. It doesn't in anyway help me to debone or remove silverskin. I can see it useful on fish filleting but that's about it. Just get a Tojiro DP Gokujo if you want a familiar profile or get a honesuki if you want to try something new.

I never understand the flex thing. It doesn't in anyway help me to debone or remove silverskin.
+1

what meat are we talkin about?

It just says,"Fat of steaks and stuff". If you are talking about strips, ribeye, trimming pismos, pork chops, pork tenders, skirt, flank, hanger blah blah blah. Tojiro Gokujo. Not flexible but it works great on all these things and more.

I like a pretty robust (very little flex) 180 Petty for trimming meat, i.e. trimming fat, silverskin, seperating muscle groups. Little short for portioning but can be done. Mine's a Marko, Heiji and Kato make some good looking offerings. Thin, flexible knives don't work for me here.

I'm with Rick and Dave regarding the lack of flex. A rigid knife gives you far more control. I've been using a 150 Kono W2 petty for years now to do everything from frenching, to hangers, pork loin, etc. if you're worried about bending, you may want to focus more on your technique.

It just says,"Fat of steaks and stuff". If you are talking about strips, ribeye, trimming pismos, pork chops, pork tenders, skirt, flank, hanger blah blah blah. Tojiro Gokujo. Not flexible but it works great on all these things and more.

Reading your reply, I wouldn't use a flexible blade for this either. For whatever reason, I do like flex for separating racks from spines, breasts from keel bones, frenching small racks etc. Just my non pro 2 cents.

Thanks everyone. I'll reconsider my needs. Maybe my petty is the right knife after all.

I maybe practically alone here in my thinking, but unless you can find a really narrow petty i dont find it to be a very good substitute for a boning knife. Atleast for tasks such as trimming fat, silver skin, etc etc....that being said i did enjoy using my old zakuri petty for precisely this task because it was so freakin narrow. Just be careful of which petty you choose if you indeed buy a new one, because a lot of pettys are shaped almost like mini gyutos and that shape isnt good when you need to get into tight, small places which is common with a lot of butchery.

Thanks everyone. I'll reconsider my needs. Maybe my petty is the right knife after all.

You could consider a honesuki maru if fragility of honesuki kaku concerns you. It's not flexible but beefier than a petty or kaku

Seems to be called hankotsu at some online retailers

Filleting Knife: 5 Inch (12.7 cm) Blade PN: CR25CIIHO
Price: $55.00

Qty:
View larger photo

5 inch (12.7 cm) 15 gauge (1.8 mm) Filleting Knife – With a thin, long and narrow flexible blade this knife is perfect for removing the bones and skin from fish, meat and poultry. The shape and flexibility allow the blade to fit itself to whatever you cut. The length and width of the blade make it perfect for coring peppers, tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables - and slicing them too! This knife is perfect for cutting and trimming fat, removing fruit and vegetable stems, filleting chicken breasts or making cutlets. Please see our "Knife Care" page on how to maintain your Murphy Knives.

I can't get the photo to link, but this is my favorite boning knife by far. It has just the tiniest amount of flex, has a huge handle, and gets really sharp and stays that way. Their shellfish knives suck, but this is a keeper.

I have the 55 dollar version, but yeah, thats the one. It is seriously a great knife.

More and more I use a honesuki. The only one I have is made by Adam Marr, and I love it.

k.

Honesuki users: have you found them to be useful for working with removing fat and silverskin from beef and pork, and not just for taking apart chickens?

Honesuki users: have you found them to be useful for working with removing fat and silverskin from beef and pork, and not just for taking apart chickens?

It's the only shape I use for triming tenders. Highly effective.

beef, pork, birds, lamb, rabbit, deer... works great for me. the tojiro dp honesuki is probably the best value i have bought.

I basically use two boning knives. Hankotsu for boning out strips and frenching racks. Honesuki for everything else.

Back