Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88

Thread: Bad experience with Boardsmith

  1. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    A lot of you take a pretty broad view of the term "respectful communication."

  2. #72
    Senior Member Chefu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Okinawa
    Posts
    167
    As a chef and manager for many years, dealing with customers can be difficult, but the bottom line is that is what we do. I need to make an effort to address the customers needs and if I can't then I need to offer an alternative. FWIW there are a couple of well respected vendors on KKF that for one reason or another I can't seem to get their websites to work for me and with one simple email both of them were more than willing to send me PayPal info and the transactions were complete. I believe that posting a bad experience is just as valid as posting the great ones. Everyone has to ultimately weigh both good and bad to make their own judgments. That is what makes this forum work.

  3. #73
    Senior Member jamaster14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Your very first line was, "your website doesn't work!". That's rather rude and you are automatically setting the tone for future correspondence. I'm sure things would have gone differently had you simply just said, "I'm having a problem with checkout, this is what it's saying, here's a screen shot (I always take one so they can physically see what kind of error I'm getting), could you please let me know what I'm doing wrong."

    To me, your very first email was accusatory right from the start. I've never ordered from BoardSmith and I don't know you so I'm not biased one way or the other, just giving you my opinion on how your email read.
    Right, it wasnt a great constructive comment. but he isnt the vendor. and his poor email/complaint to me doesnt go ahead and make acceptable customer service to respond that way in return. to me, thats bad business. I think any of us who have run a business or worked in customer service know that most of the requests are NOT very respectful, helpful, or constructive. as usually when we get them, its because something went wrong.

    people are going to complain when something doesnt work, regardless of whose fault it is, and when they do so in looking for help they often dont do so in a helpful way. its just as easy for the vendor to say "im sorry its not working for you -- can you describe the issue or error you are getting or provide me with a bit more info so I can help you make your purchase? We also take orders over the phone if that would be more convient for you?"

    and then it probably goes alot smoother after that. i dont think the problem being on the OP's end is really of any consequence. i think the main point being overlooked is that he really didnt get much help or alternative ways to purchase. thats a potential lose sale, a potential lost repeat customer, and a potential lost positive review. This is just my opinion, but to me those 3 things are worth biting your tongue and going overboard to help the person.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

  4. #74
    Senior Member jamaster14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefu View Post
    As a chef and manager for many years, dealing with customers can be difficult, but the bottom line is that is what we do. I need to make an effort to address the customers needs and if I can't then I need to offer an alternative. FWIW there are a couple of well respected vendors on KKF that for one reason or another I can't seem to get their websites to work for me and with one simple email both of them were more than willing to send me PayPal info and the transactions were complete. I believe that posting a bad experience is just as valid as posting the great ones. Everyone has to ultimately weigh both good and bad to make their own judgments. That is what makes this forum work.
    this is very well said, and what i was trying to communicate.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

  5. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    I really do hope this can be the last email in this chain. I will accept upon reflection that my email to the vendor took an unnecessarily aggressive tone (I was busy at work, had tried many times to put the order through, didn't have time to call, and was very frustrated), and if I could have done it over, I would phrase it more politely. In the end though, my gripe was with the fact that instead of being met with an effort from the vendor to resolve the situation, I was told that it was I who was the problem, with no apparent interest in resolving it. And that, in my mind, is bad business.

    I know there are those who disagree, and I respect their views.

    As a last remark (at least on my part), I would ask those who directed comments to me of a personal nature ("acting like a child," "hissy fit," etc.) to reflect on whether there are more civil ways of expressing their opinions in the future. As a general rule, I'd suggest not posting anything you wouldn't say to someone in person, and taking extra special care to avoid comments that might earn you a punch in the mouth.

  6. #76

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,454
    Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    I really do hope this can be the last email in this chain.
    I believe I'll second that motion.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  7. #77
    Senior Member Birnando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    227
    Another perfect argument for a no vendor bashing rule on all open forums..

    The OP was never about resolving anything, it was motivated by much less noble motives.
    Given the entire email correspondence, it's hard to see it any other way.

    Constructive feedback, good or bad is a good thing.
    A one sided rant on the other hand is of no value to anyone.

    This posted from the other side of the Atlantic where I feel relatively safe from getting punched in the mouth..

  8. #78
    Senior Member jamaster14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    Another perfect argument for a no vendor bashing rule on all open forums..

    The OP was never about resolving anything, it was motivated by much less noble motives.
    Given the entire email correspondence, it's hard to see it any other way.

    Constructive feedback, good or bad is a good thing.
    A one sided rant on the other hand is of no value to anyone.

    This posted from the other side of the Atlantic where I feel relatively safe from getting punched in the mouth..
    I dont view it that way at all, and find the thread to be extremely helpful. what is the point of allowing feedback or reviews at all if you are only allowed to post positive ones. Regardless of the motives, the story seems pretty clear. The OP was very reactionary, pushy, and not at all constructive in his emails. but he did, in fact, have trouble ordering (even if the problem was on his end). and BS seem to have little interest in dealing with the issue because of this, which personally, i find to be poor customer service.

    to me it really doesnt matter what the OP said, this isnt a post about the OP, its a post about how boardsmith responded to a (somewhat irrationally) upset customer. if you're a vendor you are going to run into plenty of those regardless of what your business is.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaster14 View Post
    Right, it wasnt a great constructive comment. but he isnt the vendor. and his poor email/complaint to me doesnt go ahead and make acceptable customer service to respond that way in return. to me, thats bad business. I think any of us who have run a business or worked in customer service know that most of the requests are NOT very respectful, helpful, or constructive. as usually when we get them, its because something went wrong.

    people are going to complain when something doesnt work, regardless of whose fault it is, and when they do so in looking for help they often dont do so in a helpful way. its just as easy for the vendor to say "im sorry its not working for you -- can you describe the issue or error you are getting or provide me with a bit more info so I can help you make your purchase? We also take orders over the phone if that would be more convient for you?"

    and then it probably goes alot smoother after that. i dont think the problem being on the OP's end is really of any consequence. i think the main point being overlooked is that he really didnt get much help or alternative ways to purchase. thats a potential lose sale, a potential lost repeat customer, and a potential lost positive review. This is just my opinion, but to me those 3 things are worth biting your tongue and going overboard to help the person.
    Oh I agree, it definitely should have been handled better by the vendor and I can understand how the OP must have felt when he got a response back. I just wanted the OP to understand why he was maybe getting the reaction he was getting from some of the members. He made it sound one way in his initial post then the emails were revealed and it showed something different than originally portrayed.

    I think this is actually a great learning experience for potential customers and vendors alike. Remember what your mama said about catching more bees with honey than vinegar and when you get a grumpy customer, kill them with kindness and be glad you don't live with them!

  10. #80
    Senior Member erikz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    Another perfect argument for a no vendor bashing rule on all open forums..

    The OP was never about resolving anything, it was motivated by much less noble motives.
    Given the entire email correspondence, it's hard to see it any other way.

    Constructive feedback, good or bad is a good thing.
    A one sided rant on the other hand is of no value to anyone.

    This posted from the other side of the Atlantic where I feel relatively safe from getting punched in the mouth..
    Whats the point of reviews when negative reviews are disallowed? Better not have reviews at all.

    I expect everyone to read reviews and make a decision based on what they've actually read. If there are 99 positive reviews and 1 negative, wouldnt people still buy from that vendor?

    This is how sites like tripadvisor and the bay work and its pretty darn good if you ask me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •