Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad experience with Boardsmith

Bad experience with Boardsmith

I feel a little bit bad taking the time to write a post just to trash a vendor, but I just have to vent here.

I have had a Boardsmith cutting board for years. It's a great board, and I have recommend BS to many posters looking for cutting board recommendations.

Yesterday I was trying to pull the trigger on a new item, but I could not get the website to work. I kept hitting a jam where I was asked to put in a zip code before shipping costs could be calculated, but it kept not working (yes, the shipping address was in the U.S.). I tried many times, then finally wrote Dave and suggested that he might be losing out on business from frustrated customers in my position who weren't willing to spend the energy to go to him for help.

You'd think that a vendor would want to assist his customer in making a purchase: instead, I got a snarky, condescending email from him suggesting that I was just too clueless to do this correctly. Putting aside that I am a pretty smart guy with tons of experience buying things online from all sorts of vendors, I really could not believe that someone who is not only selling expensive products, but who is marketing to a pretty small audience who tend to communicate with one another (such as on this forum), chose, instead of trying to help me (say, by offering to call me up, or suggesting I call him, or saying anything helpful at all), rudely blew me off. I wrote back and gave him several chances to either apologize or be helpful, but he kept digging in his heels, and insisted the problem must be at my end.

When buying anything, including knives and related wares, quality is the most important factor. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give my hard-earned money to a vendor who can't even treat me with basic respect. I don't know if this is function of success going to his head and taking his customers for granted, but this whole experience really pi**ed me off, and I won't be shopping there again, nor will I recommend his products.

Ok, that's my rant. Make of it what you will.

Hard to think much one way or the other without seeing the text of your helpful email. Doubt your post is going to survive long anyway. I know the way Dave crafts his emails sometimes make them read with a different tone than he may mean them to. I've always found it best to call him. And I think it's too bad you put so much info into this post when you could have simpoly called him. Many of the vendors here are craftsmen, not people who sit in front of computers crafting Word documents and emails all day long; I definitely try to keep that in mind when corresponding with many of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    I feel a little bit bad taking the time to write a post just to trash a vendor, but I just have to vent here.

I have had a Boardsmith cutting board for years. It's a great board, and I have recommend BS to many posters looking for cutting board recommendations.

Yesterday I was trying to pull the trigger on a new item, but I could not get the website to work. I kept hitting a jam where I was asked to put in a zip code before shipping costs could be calculated, but it kept not working (yes, the shipping address was in the U.S.). I tried many times, then finally wrote Dave and suggested that he might be losing out on business from frustrated customers in my position who weren't willing to spend the energy to go to him for help.

You'd think that a vendor would want to assist his customer in making a purchase: instead, I got a snarky, condescending email from him suggesting that I was just too clueless to do this correctly. Putting aside that I am a pretty smart guy with tons of experience buying things online from all sorts of vendors, I really could not believe that someone who is not only selling expensive products, but who is marketing to a pretty small audience who tend to communicate with one another (such as on this forum), chose, instead of trying to help me (say, by offering to call me up, or suggesting I call him, or saying anything helpful at all), rudely blew me off. I wrote back and gave him several chances to either apologize or be helpful, but he kept digging in his heels, and insisted the problem must be at my end.

When buying anything, including knives and related wares, quality is the most important factor. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give my hard-earned money to a vendor who can't even treat me with basic respect. I don't know if this is function of success going to his head and taking his customers for granted, but this whole experience really pi**ed me off, and I won't be shopping there again, nor will I recommend his products.

Ok, that's my rant. Make of it what you will.
    you're not wrong... even if the error was a problem on your side, it is simply bad customer service to just say its on your end and not give an alternative method to try and make your purchase, do some due diligence into seeing if there IS a problem on his end, or at the very least provide some assistance in navigating you to make the purchase.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Hard to think much one way or the other without seeing the text of your helpful email. Doubt your post is going to survive long anyway. I know the way Dave crafts his emails sometimes make them read with a different tone than he may mean them to. I've always found it best to call him. And I think it's too bad you put so much info into this post when you could have simpoly called him. Many of the vendors here are craftsmen, not people who sit in front of computers crafting Word documents and emails all day long; I definitely try to keep that in mind when corresponding with many of these guys.
    I understand your point David, but that "I'm a craftsman so I don't have to be civil" mentality doesn't fly with me. I would have been happy to talk on the phone if he'd shown the slightest interest in engaging with me. I did put all the info in this post in my email to him, and, as I mentioned, he basically blew me off and appeared uninterested in helping me. This was not an issue of improperly crafting Word documents. He was straight-up dismissive and, in my opinion, rude.

So is the onus on me to call him? Isn't sorting out situations like this on the seller? In my opinion, yes.

Someone is going to buy the board from him regardless if it is you or not. Either try calling him and get things straitened out or someone who isn't expecting it to be sold to them will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    Someone is going to buy the board from him regardless if it is you or not. Either try calling him and get things straitened out or someone who isn't expecting it to be sold to them will buy it.
    Probably true, but missing my point. I personally will not do business with someone who treats his customers this way, and I wanted others to know about my experience. Obviously everyone can do what they like with this information, including nothing at all.

Mom taught me to praise in public, criticize in private. Served me well for many years.

You've had a frustrating experience. Accept it, move on, but your post/vent/rant does not belong here.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Mom taught me to praise in public, criticize in private. Served me well for many years.

You've had a frustrating experience. Accept it, move on, but your post/vent/rant does not belong here.
    Respectfully disagree. I don't see why sharing vendor experiences is not relevant to this forum (though I accept that it may be more appropriate in another category). Is the rule that I'm only supposed to relate positive experiences? If so, that's a dumb rule.

I agree with you on that point danny; this forum's advantage is that there exists both positive and negative feedback. If we take that away, what differentiates this one from the next?

It means sometimes you can shoot your mouth off too quick before you take into account he's a human with emotions and stress just like everyone else. I had a bad experience with DT and wanted to do what you did. Held off for a week to find out his son graduated college and his daughter got married...
    All I'm saying is take a breath..