Quantcast
Anyone else roast their own coffee?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else roast their own coffee?

Anyone else roast their own coffee?

Been doing so for several years. Worth it I think.

i have not yet roasted my own. i have a couple really good places locally that roast their own beans so i havent been compelled to yet. what do you use to brew your coffee?

I use a french press mostly for brewing. The roasting set up is a SCCO. Cheap but effective.
    --edit i just roasted a pound or so; can't wait to taste it once it has rested.

I enjoy coffee so it was a natural for me to try roasting- I have a Gen' Café' a friend "loaned me" Talk about a green coffee stash...

I used to use a french press but switched to a chemex recently. after getting it right, I think it makes a much better brew than the french press. at least for my tastes in coffee.

i really gotta get back into this. I have had a non-working espresso machine sitting on my counter for 2 years now, and an IRoast 2 I haven't used either. For what I spent on bad coffee at the usual places in the meantime, I could have personally flown my machine to the mainland for repair The problem I run into out here is getting green beans. Officially, you cannot 'import' green beans into Hawaii to protect the Hawaiian coffee plants from pests. I think it has more to do with protecting the profits of the Hawaiian growers. Anyway, I have compromised for too long, time for action. Thanks for the thread, that was the last kick I needed

Stefan

I've been roasting my own since 2006. Started out with a FreshRoast, but it had too small a capacity, so I bought one of the first Behmor 1600's when they came on the market.

I'm a little less sophisticated about brewing, and I'm using a Cuisinart at the moment. When it dies, I plan to invest in a Technivorm.

My biggest problem is that all my coffee loving friends are always asking me to roast some for them.

We roast our own.

Hey Stefan, can you buy green beans right at the source?

French press for the win!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

There are a lot of restrictions in bring green coffee into Hawaii. I've roasted my own coffee before with very primative methods. I've worked in the specialty cofffe industry for a number of years.