Quantcast
Anyone else roast their own coffee? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else roast their own coffee?

You've all inspired me to get into home roasting! What do you think of the Behmor 1600?

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    You've all inspired me to get into home roasting! What do you think of the Behmor 1600?
    I think it's the best home roaster on the market. One of the best things about it is the support Joe Behm gives to his roaster. If you're having difficulties, he'll work with you to resolve them.

Awesome! I think I will pick one up as soon as Sweet Maria's has it back in stock.

I have worked in a kitchen for over 15 years and NEVER (ok maybe twice) drank coffee unltil about 2 years ago. Now I'm becoming a coffee snob as I find myself turned off by more and more "lower class" coffee. I am afraid to look into this thread any further, I can barely afford the knife hobby these guys push around here!

-Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G. View Post
    I have worked in a kitchen for over 15 years and NEVER (ok maybe twice) drank coffee unltil about 2 years ago. Now I'm becoming a coffee snob as I find myself turned off by more and more "lower class" coffee. I am afraid to look into this thread any further, I can barely afford the knife hobby these guys push around here!

-Bryan
    It can actually get worse, I cannot drink coffee out anymore at all! Some of the best restaurants in NYC serve the worst most insipid coffee. Whats up with that?

That's the awful truth, the best chefs know nothing about coffee. Maybe there are some exceptions, but we sold some of our worst coffee to famous restaurants.

Here in PuddleTown the classier places use Stumptown Roasters. Before Stumptown will sell to a cafe or restaurant the place has to have their personnel instructed in the proper way to handle the beans. We are a little spoiled here, I think.........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I had a pleasant afternoon roasting and stropping knives! A very complimentary activity.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    That's the awful truth, the best chefs know nothing about coffee. Maybe there are some exceptions, but we sold some of our worst coffee to famous restaurants.
    Unfortunately there's truth to that, even the venerable Mr. Keller just got away from using espresso PODS quite recently.

Obtuse, I stand by the Behmor for casual home roasting. It's simple and provides good results, also there is a lot of online support for this machine. I love SM's as much as the next guy, but currently I think I would buy the 1600 from Roastmasters. They are a good company and it's a little better deal. Although, it's out of stock there also.

I'll take a look at their sight, thanks for the tip =)