Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilty

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

Civilty

There's been quite a few times when I've been a little bit ashamed to be a part of this forum.
    Whatever happened to us being welcoming to newbies and spreading our knowledge instead of being judgmental jaded know-it-alls?
    Watch your freaking tone AND language, how would you feel if your son or daughter joined up and was berated, heckled or exposed to crude commentary while just trying to learn more about kitchen knives?
    When I first joined, I'm sure I was(still am) a giant dumb/jackass, but nobody called me out. Everyone was welcoming, and quite encouraging no matter how stupid or out of line I might have been.
    I hate to think of us losing members or turning away potential contributors due to our egos or whatever you want to call it.
    Sympathy we've got.
    Empathy not so much.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Good post Chris. Thanks for the reminder.

Whoa it's a sad day when chris is getting rubbed the wrong way. There's a huge learning curve and no one likes climbing up a hill while those in front of you are kicking down rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    There's been quite a few times when I've been a little bit ashamed to be a part of this forum.
    Whatever happened to us being welcoming to newbies and spreading our knowledge instead of being judgmental jaded know-it-alls?
    Watch your freaking tone AND language, how would you feel if your son or daughter joined up and was berated, heckled or exposed to crude commentary while just trying to learn more about kitchen knives?
    When I first joined, I'm sure I was(still am) a giant dumb/jackass, but nobody called me out. Everyone was welcoming, and quite encouraging no matter how stupid or out of line I might have been.
    I hate to think of us losing members or turning away potential contributors due to our egos or whatever you want to call it.
    Sympathy we've got.
    Empathy not so much.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I've seen a couple BST threads where this happened, but it was done by newer members. Haven't seen any of the 'older' members pulling this type of ****. But point taken.
    Also- The selfish gene theory is proof that you get more for yourself when you give more of yourself. So basically not being an ******* will eventually get you what you want. It might take a little longer, but you won't lose some thing in the process.

Like friends.

Or self respect.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

For some of us there's a learning curve. Learning to about knives, learning about sharpen and the learning of being a proper person. I find the latter to be the hardest.
    We are all different here, came from different parts of the world, speaking different languages and raised in different cultures. Most of us probably came here initially only to learn something about knives, but stayed to learn more. And learning civility isn't a one day task, so please bear with us — there's still a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Sympathy we've got.
    Empathy not so much.
    I will give the view of someone who has only been here for a few weeks.
    So far I have only had people be polite, helpful and just genuinely friendly towards me, it seems that the vast majority on here are knowledgeable level headed people.
    I have seen a couple of instances where a noob like myself had asked 'what do you think of xyz' and got the reply 'that's what the search function is for', that is true but the wording/tone can make someone instantly log off and never be seen on here again as they will incorrectly assume it just another one of those forums, it is far from it.
    I have been a member of several forums over the years and have never hung around too long due to all the bickering and negativity, mostly from the keyboard warriors that get hyped up and try to prove their manliness(and ladies too some times)this forum is not like that, yes you have the odd moment but it seems to be a rare occurrence.
    Also maybe some people need to realise that when they join a forum and reply to people, and this especially applies to responding to new members, then you are representing the forum as whole, yes it is your username and words but you are part of the forum community.
    Chris makes a very valid point and I guess it is a good reminder to certain individuals, but I would just like to say this is 100% the best forum I have joined or even browsed from afar so lets all keep it that way

Warren.

Great post. I just have to say that this place is HANDS DOWN the nicest and most helpful community I've ever seen on the internet. There's always going to be some bickering, that's pretty much impossible to avoid, but this place has way less than any other place on the internet that I've been apart of.

keep your egos in check. This is about knives right not a popularity contest or who knows more then the other right?

I've noticed this recently too. Thanks for speaking up on this.