Quantcast
Civilty - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilty

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"

You're a good man Mr. Knerd.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I haven't been hanging around here much due to life changes, so I am not sure what has been happening, but I sure hope this place isn't getting too negative. I've always thought knife-focused forums are exceptionally friendly. Maybe it is the fact that even on a keyboard from a distance you instinctively feel that you should be nice to someone with a sharp knife

With that said, almost every forum will be affected by a period of 'bad relations' or negativity, and weathering that event usually relies upon competent moderators. Thanks for keeping a hand on the wheel Chris.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Thanks for bringing this up.

I've found this forum to be the nicest and most helpful of any I've been a part of. I belong to a few more female dominated forums and believe me, it's not pretty on there most of the time. Every community has it's hiccups and grouches but this one has the fewest I've seen and I've never been made to feel stupid even if I ask a stupid question. It's always a good thing though to be reminded of our manners, thank you Chris

Kumbaya my lord. Kumbaya.

Well said, St Knerd of the Knife! I enjoy being on this Forum very much and appreciate having learnt heaps from the generous advice and contributions from members. However I have noticed there is an unfortunate tendency (thankfully, just occasionally) for egos to run way ahead of common sense, politeness and respect. Not too long ago, a totally innocent enquiry I had was labelled "tacky" by a certain member and I thought it was arrogantly personal and unnecessary to be slinging epithets like that, more so without finding out what the facts were. Luckily one does not get to be my age without developing a good layer of epidermis! I think disagreements and even contentious points of view can and should be aired on the Forum if they are pertinent but it's so much better to keep the discussion civil, polite and respectful. Goodwill to all - the alternative just does not cut it!

What Warren said about responding to new members,representing the forum as a whole not just one but forum community thanks.

I'm not above calling out people for rude behavior or inappropriate comments. When said appropriately you usually get a "I'm sorry, you're right" and it doesn't happen again from that individual. It also lets other individuals know that type of behavior is not wanted here and will not be tolerated.

Do people ask stupid questions. Sure. Everybody has, does, will. Learning how to answer those questions in a kind and meaningful way is the trick. Not everybody is tactful so if you're prone to being tactless, just bite your tongue, remove your fingers from the keyboard and click the back button.

hakuna matata

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I don't read enough here lately to know what you mean, could you provide links/examples?

After two decades of military service I can be blunt and anything but subtle, but I've also never resorted to personal attacks, which have been done to me. Some people need to be handled with kids gloves. I gotta say though, this place is easily the most civil board I visit. I'm surprised it doesn't have more members, if not just for the fellowship.
    Jason