Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing shoes for a small shigge

Choosing shoes for a small shigge

I think I'm on my finish line with this Shige. The road was pretty long, and here are some milestones.

First version build almost 2 month ago. The owner wanted to keep handle compact so I tried but hasn't really succeeded. Also this was build from unstabilized burl wood that's too light and porous… I didn't bother to make proper finish for this handle.

Cocobolo with crazy yellow spacer. I had to put that yellow stuff somewhere since it making me nervous laying around

This was built as an experiment. That's the first block of Karelian Birch that I stabilized myself. I liked the size and shape of this handle, but thin black spacers spoiled everything.

After receiving Gidgee from Burl Source I couldn't wait to start making handles from it. But this one was a failure. Ferrule is made from horn, and after shaping those ugly white stripes appeared on it. And the very thin red spacer is obviously redundant. So I grab another piece of gidgee and started making another handle with simpler design

Failed to capture real beauty of this wood on those photos, but trust me, it really looks great in person. One of the my best handles.

Now I'm gonna send an email to the owner of this blade and hope he wouldn't choose the last one handle

Which one would you choose?

Yellow all the way, I love the look of the grain as well as the shape.

either 1 or 2

Surprising choices so far

last one or the karelian birch one. Lemme know if that one is for sale I really like the first one as well but it looks too big for the knife.

First and last. If I had to choose one, the last is awesome.

I'm all for the gidgee + red spacer...

I like both the Gidgee handles (I actually like the white stripes in the horn, I think it compliments the white spacer), but I agree, the red spacer looks out of place. It might have worked if paired with another one on the other side of the white spacer though. Oh, in case you didn't realize it...you got it bad bro, real bad

Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Cocobolo hornet for me! They're all gorgeous tho, man - really nice work.

Honestly, I really like both the Cocobolo with the yellow spacer, and the last Gidgee with the dark brown/black spacer.

These handles look very classy and unique with the ferrule and handle matching, wide contrasting spacer, and an angled end cap. This really looks to be your style, and identifies you as an artist. I'd have them on all my knives. Period.

Cheers,

J