cleaver for a cheapskate?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap

Reaction score
I've been using a $7 Chinese cleaver for a lot more than I usually plan to (my gyuto seems so neglected sometimes...), but it's in pretty dire need of a replacement. the blade seems as though it may be a bit warped, the edge has some chipping near the tip that would require a lot of grinding away metal, and the handle is on the verge of splitting. That being said, this practically disposable thing's been of great service to me and I really don't see much point to spending more than $20 on one all things considered. Aside from the one I got to play around with from the wok shop, what other cheapy cleavers has anyone seen out there?

If you are willing to go a bit higher than 20$, I'd recommend the CCK cleaver, about 40$ for the 1303 I believe. I'm in love with mine.

+1 go for the CCK you will love it

If you are willing to go a bit higher than 20$, I'd recommend the CCK cleaver, about 40$ for the 1303 I believe. I'm in love with mine.

CCk's are currently running a bit higher than that anywhere i can find them cktg has them for 60 at the moment. In any case that's still more than I'd like to spend given the blade's geometry does most of the work and I don't honestly see myself getting much more from that expense. I was just hoping to see if anyone else had played around with cheap cleavers enough to have some preferences, and failing all else will likely be picking one of from a local Asian market, or from wokshop.

I've got a couple you can pick from. PM me.
For free.

Wow, the price on those CCKs has really jumped since last year! It's a good basic cleaver, but not quite as attractive at $60. You might be able to find a good deal on a used one. Some people seem to love cleavers, while others try them for a short period and then decide they will use a gyuto as their general purpose knife.

I'm currently struggling to keep using my gyuto at times. I need to work on microbeveling so I can keep a good edge on it - That'd take a lot of the consideration for the cleaver out.

I think the Asian market is a good bet.I always bought the cheap carbons,not the best carbon steel,but better than the cheap stainless.

CCK 1303 was still 42.00 in Chinatown here last time I checked.You can get smaller carbon cleavers for around 20.00.No worries you can get them sharp,don't bang the edges into anything hard.

My only concern is I see only 1 (maybe 2) brands of cleaver in my local Asian market and I believe they're stainless. I'll take a closer look to see if I can find out next time I go, I need to pick up quite a few things anyway.

Guess our Chinatown is larger.The Chinese kitchen suppy has a whole glass counter case full of cleavers carbon & stainless.Lots of cool kitchen stuff too.Carbon Woks.I luv the bamboo handle wire mesh strainers,they work well.

Back