Accordion cuts on veggies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that when chopping things like peppers and spring onions, I fail to cut all the way through the veg so it comes out like an accordion. I haven't noticed this problem with onions or mushrooms.

Does anyone else have this trouble? I'm inclined to think it's an issue with my technique (not the type of veg I'm cutting). I'm using the flatter portion of my gyuto blade towards the heel so I'm not sure how to avoid it, other than by slicing or rock chopping instead.

All tips welcome :)

Did you check if the flatter part of your gyuto has a slight recurve?

:plus1: Look to see if there is a "hole" in your edge...just place the edge on a perfectly flat surface, and slowly rock all the way to the tip, keeping a close eye on the area in contact with the surface. If there is any irregularity in the edge, you should be able to see it.

If this shows that the edge is in good shape, then use a straightedge to examine your cutting board to make sure it is also flat.

If the board is good to go, then it's you :)

also check if your heel is too high from poor sharpening.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Hey Rottman, not sure what a recurve is or how I would go about doing that! Any ideas? Also, if that is the problem, how would I fix it?? :(

If it's the board, then I should be able to fix it by sanding it flat. If the heel is too high, I guess I should grind the rest of the blade so it's consistent.

It could also be cutting technique or your knife has a slight belly instead of a flat spot. I have this problem when trying to cut similar veggies with a knife that does not have a flat spot.

It could also be cutting technique or your knife has a slight belly instead of a flat spot. I have this problem when trying to cut similar veggies with a knife that does not have a flat spot.

Thanks, Matus. I'm using a Hiromoto AS. It appears to have a flat spot near the heel of about 1/5 of the blade.

how I would go about doing that! Any ideas? Also, if that is the problem, how would I fix it?? :(

With the process I described above. It will make the profile of your edge quite observable.

Depending on the issue, you might just need to adjust technique, instead of fixing the blade. Or you could grind a better/preferred profile.

With the process I described above. It will make the profile of your edge quite observable.

Depending on the issue, you might just need to adjust technique, instead of fixing the blade. Or you could grind a better/preferred profile.

Thanks, Zwiefel. I'm hoping it's the board! That seems like the easiest fix to me. Not even sure how I would diagnose and cure a problem with my technique!

These guys have the correct answers.

One more note - Hiromoto AS knives come new with just the slightest low hanging heal which is OK when new but once the knife is sharpened it needs addressing (as in reduction) or it'll hang too low and cause a dead spot directly in front of it. If you're not aware of this and aren't particularly careful to work the heal as much as the flat area in front of it you're a ripe candidate for this to happen to. Just something else to look for.....

These guys have the correct answers.

One more note - Hiromoto AS knives come new with just the slightest low hanging heal which is OK when new but once the knife is sharpened it needs addressing (as in reduction) or it'll hang too low and cause a dead spot directly in front of it. If you're not aware of this and aren't particularly careful to work the heal as much as the flat area in front of it you're a ripe candidate for this to happen to. Just something else to look for.....

Hi Dave - I checked last night and you're spot on. The heel is a little high and it seems I haven't been working it as much as the rest of the blade when sharpening.

How would you recommend I correct this? Just sharpen in the usual way and focussing on the heel area? What about running the heel over a course stone (400 grit) at 90 degrees to grind it down?

Back