Paring knife suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogger

Reaction score
Hey folks, my cheap paring knife finally gave in so I've got an excuse to pick up a new one :) I'd prefer another 3-4in knife but you could talk me into a petty if the knife is better!

KNIFE TYPE
-Paring/petty
-Right handed
-I prefer Japanese handles
-3-5 inches
-I don't require a stainless knife
-Keep it under $120, the cheaper the better :)

KNIFE USE
-Home use
-Hand work (strawberries, apple cores, etc.)
-Sort of replacing a Kyocera 3 inch ceramic
-"Cutting towards the thumb" (I don't know if there's a name for that)

As far as improvements, something that I can actually sharpen will be such a relief over the ceramic.

I live with a bunch of college guys and I've found my "flashier" knives get more respect (or people are just afraid to use them), so I certainly wouldn't mind a really different or flashy knife. That's no deal breaker though.

I'm somewhat new to knife sharpening (I've sharpened straight razors for a while), but I'm still getting used to the curved blade so I suppose ease of sharpening would be mildly desirable. Similarly, I need to practice, so edge retention isn't a huge concern to me (within reason!) :D

Thanks so much for everyone's time!

Best parer I have used is a Ealy. See if you can find one of those from a fellow member they are the best IMHO

There are lots of cool fancy paring knives out there… and there are some that are dirt cheap and and comfortable like Victorinox Bird's Beak. Probably not the recommendation you were expected to hear, but a great knife anyway. For in hand work 2" blade is just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of cool fancy paring knives out there… and there are some that are dirt cheap and and comfortable like Victorinox Bird's Beak. Probably not the recommendation you were expected to hear, but a great knife anyway. For in hand work 2" blade is just right.

I agree, it's what I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
My most used parers are Ealy, HHH and Shun Classic - yes I said Shun get over it. (Probably the best knife in their whole line - :lol2: )

Misono fruit knife is what I use and I love it. Very comfy and stays sharp forever. $24.50 at korin

Whatever you do, DON'T get the Wusthof Ikon or Grand Prix sheepsfoot paring knife.they look nice and unique but once you've started using a 90-120mm petty, you soon begin to see their apparent limitations in function.

Hi and welcome.

Delbert Ealy's paring knives are much loved and the straight AEB-L version fits just within your budget. The only problem is that they're not readily available.

There was a very nice one on the B/S/T a couple of days ago, but I snapped that one up.

It depends on how much you use the paring knife, how nice a parer you want and hour much you actually want to spend. I'd probably be inclined to pick up the Victorianox to see how it works for you and then if you do want something nicer, keep an eye out for an Ealy.

McLean/Harner parer is thin and nimble. Butch seems to be stretched pretty thin, so not that many have been made.

As suggested above, Victorinox offer great value. I also hear repeated recommendations for the Shun (even from people who generally don't care for Shuns).

I haven't used too many parers and definitely none from the makers on the forum, but I can highly recommend the Misono Molybdenum parer which I believe is sold only in the 80 mm size. I like it for peeling, in hand work, etc.

I tried to post a day or two ago, but looks like it never stuck; sorry to abandon the thread!

So far this is what I'm hearing/thinking:

Victorinox:
Pros-Really cheap, probably won't need anything else.
Cons: Not super useful for sharpening/maintenance practice, sort of lacks that "wow" factor (I know that's kinda cheesy, but in retrospect I don't really need a paring knife, you know?).

Tojiro:
Pros-Great price/value, nice looking, requires some respect to get into good habits but still has some resiliance
Cons-Not many... maybe it doesn't take full advantage of what I could get in the price range, but that's kinda null

Shun:
Pros-I like the D handle personally, can get it locally with a good discount, looks cool
Cons-Name, price/value isn't super great

Ealy:
Pros-Super Awesome
Cons-hard to get

Asai:
Pros-Absolutely beautiful, D handle
Cons-Price (but still within budget)

Misono(s):
Pros-Price
Cons-Kinda like Tojiro, nothing stands out as bad

I need to read a bit more about the two Misonos, and I'll keep my eye out for an Ealy, Harner or a Kramer.

That said I guess I'm most interested in the Tojiro (price/value, loyal users), Shun (can get it locally at a store I like to support), and that Asai (it's real pretty :D ). I'll keep mulling it over, but any other advice is still appreciated!

Thanks so much for everyone's help!
~Nick

Victorinox:
Pros-Really cheap, probably won't need anything else.
Cons: Not super useful for sharpening/maintenance practice, sort of lacks that "wow" factor
While it does lacks wow factor, it's only 13$ cmon! If you really want to learn sharpening, that bird's beak shape would really add some value, as it's noticeable harder to sharpen.

I love my ZKramer carbon parer

Ditto. Bought mine because someone on this forum posted it was the most comfortable parer they'd ever used. It's my first carbon knife.

I can also recommend the Shun Classic 4" paring knife.

I'll just add that the stainless Kramer paring knife is the best parer I've ever used, I didn't mention it as it's over budget and I'd assume that a second hand one would still be over. Other than cost it has no real shortcomings, it's stainless, seems to never need sharpening and I don't have to worry about using it on acidic foods.

In terms of edge retention, profile and comfort; the carbon Kramer will be just as good but it's worth considering if you're okay with a carbon parer. All my other knives are carbon, but all of my parers are stainless as I use them a lot on acidic foods and often use them away from the cutting board (without a towel to wipe the blade during use). Just something to consider if you'll be using it on a lot of acidic fruits.

Back