Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyutuo Recommendation

Gyutuo Recommendation

Hi,

I am a culinary student and I am looking to buy a new chefs knife and was wondering if I could get a recommendation. I currently own the Korin Inox gyutou which I am quite fond of, but it is too long for me (240mm) and I lose the edge on it quickly - but that may be due to how much I use it. I am looking to buy a 210mm knife, around the weight range of the Korin gyutou (if anything I would consider lighter knives), which is under $250 (preferably under $200). I realize it's silly - but I prefer knives with unique handles (anything other than the standard black), but that is not a necessity by any means.

Thanks!

western or traditional wa?

What makes you think your current 240mm is too long?

Korin's Inox knives are western handled. I'm also curious about 240mm being too long. Perhaps add a petty to your kit? In terms of weight similar to Korin's Inox, but interesting handle have a look at their Masanobu line. Not for everyone, but certainly different.

It's not like the 240mm is outrageously long - I just feel like I can work a lot quicker when I'm using a 210mm knife. I have a petty knife that I've barely used and I'm actually looking to get rid of it, my hands are way too big for it! I am looking for a western style knife.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum "Which knife should I buy?" you need to fill out.

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Chefs Knife

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$250

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing/chopping/mincing vegetables, trimming and slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Korin Special Inox 240mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?

Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?

All

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Looking for a shorter knife that retains its edge and is relatively light. Would like a unique handle.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

No, Yes, No, No

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

interesting western handles are hard to find at the price point; the only ones that I can think of are hattori fh and suisin inox

especially different ones