Gyutuo Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethdavid

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a culinary student and I am looking to buy a new chefs knife and was wondering if I could get a recommendation. I currently own the Korin Inox gyutou which I am quite fond of, but it is too long for me (240mm) and I lose the edge on it quickly - but that may be due to how much I use it. I am looking to buy a 210mm knife, around the weight range of the Korin gyutou (if anything I would consider lighter knives), which is under $250 (preferably under $200). I realize it's silly - but I prefer knives with unique handles (anything other than the standard black), but that is not a necessity by any means.

Thanks!

Korin's Inox knives are western handled. I'm also curious about 240mm being too long. Perhaps add a petty to your kit? In terms of weight similar to Korin's Inox, but interesting handle have a look at their Masanobu line. Not for everyone, but certainly different.

It's not like the 240mm is outrageously long - I just feel like I can work a lot quicker when I'm using a 210mm knife. I have a petty knife that I've barely used and I'm actually looking to get rid of it, my hands are way too big for it! I am looking for a western style knife.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum "Which knife should I buy?" you need to fill out.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chefs Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing/chopping/mincing vegetables, trimming and slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Korin Special Inox 240mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?

Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?

All

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Looking for a shorter knife that retains its edge and is relatively light. Would like a unique handle.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

No, Yes, No, No

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

interesting western handles are hard to find at the price point; the only ones that I can think of are hattori fh and suisin inox

A Hiromoto AS 210mm gyuto will run you ~150 and for another 100-150 you can have it rehandled in a wood of your choosing by one of the several vendors on this forum.

Or
http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/hi21gybyadma.html

(Edit: Okay, that's weird. Why is CKTG not allowed? Anyhoo, it was the Hiromoto Adam Marr 210 gyuto custom handled in redwood burl.)

The HattoriFH referred to would be the cocobolo 210 gyuto on japanesechefsknife.com
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HattoriForumHighEndChefsKnives.html#HattoriFH

Gesshin ginga might work, call Jon at jki

If we ignore your need for a special handle, I would also recommend a Ginga Western. I love my Ginga Wa-Gyuto.

You can also pick up a Gesshin Kagero which constructed of powered steel and should have superior edge retention to the AUS-8 in your Togiharu.

I highly recommend talking to Jon at JKI for either of the above knives, he is super helpful a will steer you in the right direction.

Other options:

If you want to save couple of bucks you can get a Carbonext from Japanesechefsknife.com Fairly thin blade and good bang for your buck.

If looks matter, than you can also pick up a VG10 Hammer Damascus Gyuto which is available through a variety or retailers. The VG-10 should have superior edge retention to the AUS-8 and it has some type of natural wood handle that isn't black.

Korin has them as Togiharu Hammered Texture Damascus Gyutou for $149.99

The better deal is getting one through Yoshihiro on Ebay for $129.99 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VG10-Hammer...nese-sushi-chef-knife-YOSHIHIRO-/390607054824

I would avoid too a flashy blade in a pro environment. Apart from that a faux damascus makes the blade unnecessary thick and will look unattractive within a few months. VG-10 is a good steel if properly hardened which is rarely the case. Sharpening it isn't always a pleasure.

Back