Quantcast
Informal Chef Clothing - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Informal Chef Clothing

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Meh. Chef coats and pants are from a bygone era IMO. It's like the Michelin system, charging too much for too much staff to maintain 'appearances'. Having tattoos and wearing jeans in a kitchen has nothing to do with trying to impress people, it's not giving a **** about what people think of you and letting the food speak for itself. The cookie cutter cult of personality thing has run rampant in our society. Btw- I'm not saying you should show up looking like you came off a two week bender, but as long as your clothes are clean, you're wearing proper footwear, keep your hair covered if it's long...

The food is all that matters.
    I'm sorry mate. As I was reading along,I kept looking at your picture of moe. And no matter how much I try,I keep hearing his voice narrating every one of your posts. Anyone else encountered this?

I can't agree with the bygone era thing, but I do get a chuckle over the notion.
    Then again, I did try out wearing the dish shirt last summer and much say I really dug it. I did have my logo on it and I did iron the things every morning (like I do with my jackets). And just recently I went "outside the box" again and got 1 black jacket and 1 grey jacket, both with the cool mesh thingy going on. OOOOoohhhhh
    Much different then the finer Egyptian cotton, but I really like them as well. So maybe I am re-inventing my uniform a bit...?

I still say that I agree with the importance of a uniform, whatever it may be. For those in the BOH it should certainly be comfortable. No paper hats or those neckerchiefs for crying out loud. If you are in view of the guests, I think it should be a logo t-shirt with the either the establishment's name or theme on there, or like I refer to as the dish shirt which usually has the snap-up front. But no jeans. Too casual and I can't imagine wearing them in a hot-as-balls kitchen during the summer. Then again, I've never had the luxury of working in a kitchen that has AC as most of these newer places seem to afford.

I've heard the French Laundry's kitchen is carpeted...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Sherski View Post
    I'm sorry mate. As I was reading along,I kept looking at your picture of moe. And no matter how much I try,I keep hearing his voice narrating every one of your posts. Anyone else encountered this?
    That's a portrait of me. Who's this Moe guy?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Place me firmly in the bygone era camp. There is a reason the jacket was created in the first place, protection. Beyond that, at this point it is indeed a symbol of the culture from which it hails. Putting on the jacket places you in that culture from that bygone era. I feel proud to say that I'm a part of that culture. It's like being a modern day Templar or something to that effect. I take pride in my uniform. Hair, face, fingernails, jacket, apron, pants, shoes. Clean, neat and presentable at all times. Wanna wear blue jeans? Go on a TV cooking show. T-shirt and jeans? I hear Chilli's and TGI Fridays are hiring.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Dammit, I was just about to hit send on my resume to you Rick

Maybe bygone era is a bit harsh on my part, and I apologize if I offended anybody. Wasn't my intent. But I do think its a bit insulting to imply that you can't make decent food without wearing a chef coat/pants.

If my comments implied that, then my apologies.

And that will count for my one apology a day policy.
    But I seriously wasn't implying that, just offering my take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Dammit, I was just about to hit send on my resume to you Rick

Maybe bygone era is a bit harsh on my part, and I apologize if I offended anybody. Wasn't my intent. But I do think its a bit insulting to imply that you can't make decent food without wearing a chef coat/pants.
    I wasn't implying you can't make great food without the uni on. I guess I'm just a traditionalist in the workplace hygiene/uniform department.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Wanna wear blue jeans? Go on a TV cooking show.
    Strange. I don't wear jeans (period - in or out of work) and much prefer chef pants, but the majority of chefs I've worked for, especially in high-end restaurants, all wore jeans in the kitchen.

I suppose everyone has their own views and notions. I think chef jackets are silly and want no part of that culture - but we'll all agree being clean and presentable is priority #1

I was taught to be seen as a chef the first step is to look like one. The owners I worked for ( a big kitchen) wanted me to stand out and people take notice when I walk through. I've done it ever since. It works maybe not the only way but it works.