Anyone heard of Shiro Kunimitsu knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikz

Reaction score
I stumbled over this maker when looking at one of his videos about Katana forging. He's the so manieth in line sword smith since the late 18th century. He's now started forging kitchen knives because the Katana market is very small and he needs the income.

Here's his website:
http://www.shirokunimitsu.com/

Have any of you ever heard of this maker and/or used one of his knives?

I take it that nobody here has heard of or used this guys knives before?

Their 23 stainless chef's looks interesting. Sadly I am financially tapped out right now.

Some of the prices are a bit steep for a relatively unknown maker.

Sometimes it is easier to enter a market by splashing at the top end. Enthusiasts/hobbyists generally have the money and a lot of the value of an item is perceived. And since Japanese blademaking have developed that premium perception. If you enter a market and expect to sell small volumes - target the price insensitive segment.

For anything more than the small-size knives the prices jump up dramatically. I wouldn't spend $350 on a KU nakiri from an unknown maker when I can spend less than that on a nakiri like the Shigefusa KU, Kato KU, Fujiyama, or Watanabe offerings. Or, since I recently tested mine out again, Kochi and Tanaka. All are excellent and all cost less than $350.

[video=youtube;WRNK-xOIaWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRNK-xOIaWQ[/video]

Here's a video they linked on their site. Seems to cut fine, but not $350 fine

Just reviving this thread as I have also seen the video that the OP had seen.

Do we have any new info on this maker?

Just reviving this thread as I have also seen the video that the OP had seen.

Do we have any new info on this maker?

There was a 30 min program on BBC4 today about the family and focused on their handmade Japanese swords. Interesting but nothing too extraordinary.

Latest posts

Back