Bone marrow, yay or nay?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Fixed up some bone marrow for my blog this week. Fort Worth is having its first Food & Wine festival this weekend and I wanted to post something foodie.

I love bone marrow, but a lot of people seem to be turned off by the post. I am thinking it is more that it is something unfamiliar than it is people not liking bone marrow per say. Just curious if most people here eat bone marrow?

Here is a link to what I posted.
http://www.dfw.com/2014/03/25/878764/weekend-chef-roasted-bone-marrow.html

And here is a couple of picks.

12ZjYd.St.117.jpeg

Vit7R.St.117.jpeg

BsJ7V.St.117.jpeg

1eYIMo.St.117.jpeg

I've never had marrow but I think it's one of those things I'd have to be tricked into eating to see if I liked it or not. Some things I just can't get past what it is, like squid tentacles or chicken livers.....

:puke:

It's a beautiful presentation though ;)

Really like it, but one of these things where a little bit goes a long way. Very nice plating.

Stefan

Recently made it for New Year's Eve dinner. Fokken yay!

I love bone marrow , it is yay for me. When I have used it in my menus I preferred using as a component of a beef dish rather than by it self

Never tried it before...that photo makes me want to though!

There's a reason a dog will spend an hour chewing on a bone just to get to that yummy center, so big yay.

I love it, and my wife likes it even more than that. There's a nice roasted marrow dish at Chuckthebutchers restaurant; several split bones, charred bread and a collection of condiments.

Oh yea! I like to blanch the bones under low temp water and carefully remove the sticks of marrow, then pan fry them really hot and quick. Salt well paired with a crusty croissant. Stefan said it right, little goes a long way.

good stuff!! I've tasted a soup dish in Taiwan which was a large cut bone with both marrow & meat. They serve it with a thick straw, so you can suck out the marrow. very tasty.

Cool, looks like most people who have tried it, likes it :)

My wife says, "No way", I say "Good for me". Never occurred to me to do bones specifically for marrow. So far my sole source of marrow has been from osso buco.

Can not believe that this is even being brought up! If I was served bone marrow seven day's a week, I would eat it seven day's a week (to hell with the three heart attacks. :) I would go out on a limb and say that if people are turned off by the marrow, then they are not true foodies at all. At least respect those that do appreciate marrow.

Just an added note: I have seen marrow served in some of the finest, white table cloth restaurants in the world. And just about every time it was served in a very similar fashion as the first photo.

Back