Quantcast
How Much Flex on Suji? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Much Flex on Suji?

I'm curious what Sujis you guys are using that have no flex? Only one I've tried with zero flex is the Kato workhorse from Maksim. All others have had some flex. I'd prefer a thinner tip than stiffness, but I'd like to hear others opinions.
    your right. actually all of my sujis flex a lil bit. but its not like i use this flex in any way. even the zakuri is not 100% stiff.

I've got a 270 konosuke that is a beautiful and very thin slicer but way too much flex for my tastes at least for carving. I like sujis with little to no flex for carving. I use the flexible kono laser for things like marking and cutting desserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I'm curious what Sujis you guys are using that have no flex? Only one I've tried with zero flex is the Kato workhorse from Maksim. All others have had some flex. I'd prefer a thinner tip than stiffness, but I'd like to hear others opinions.
    Yoshikane skd 270 , it feels pretty stiff

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I think it depends on what it's used for. I can see where a stiff blade would be useful for carving. I've got a 300 Yusuke Sakai Swedish Suij laser. Not wimpy but certainly flexes in the first half of the blade. Works excellent for removing the skin from a slab of pig fat back, portioning proteins, slicing prosciutto. I'm a home cook so can work in ideal conditions without being rushed.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Martell, Catcheside and Mortiaka. As has already been stated, they all flex a bit, but with enough pressure you can flex a yanagiba. By flex, I mean like a fillet knife.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

That's pretty much what I was getting at, I don't think that the small amount of flex adds to performance, but the thinness is an advantage, and the flex is the payoff for thinness.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Let me clarify. Zero flex is not possible given the thickness of the stock I work with and the length of the blade if I aim to make a cutter, rather than a piece of steel with an edge (I can make just that with no distal taper). My goal to make a knife that could be used more than just as a protein cutter, but also as a prep knife. Many sushi chefs use primarily sujis for prep work.

I start with 3.4mm stock. I grind a distal taper to about 2.5mm at the middle and 2mm 50mm from the tip. S grind. At this point, there is very little flex. So, basically, this is where I am going to leave - there will be very little flex in the first 1/3 of the blade, but blade will feel stiff throughout.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

That's about perfect IMO

No flex for me

OK, onward, the close to no flex will be the standard option.

Thanks, folks, as always, much appreciated.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com