Quantcast
A Tall Gyuto With A Belly - An Universal Appeal? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tall Gyuto With A Belly - An Universal Appeal?

I hate any commercial red sauces

Most of the cooks I know use pretty flat profiles. The cooks I have who were rockin' the culinary school kit were already using santokus when I got to them.

Because rocking a knife gives so much opportunity to tear product I think people who are married to that technique would be less likely to appreciate a better knife and wouldn't spend for it.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

kids have options now, when I learned to cook, if you wanted a flat knife to push cut with, you used a chinese cleaver, even my european chefs would bust out their 8" slicer to pull chop mushrooms, shallots, garlic and low height product. You learned to rock chop, it could efficiently go through a stack or carrots, or celery stuff like that, you didn't learn finesse work, you were the damn apprentice.

I think people who learn now get soooo much more variety of work to do, that they are worried about how to cut this and that, when I was an apprentice, you didn't worry about how to cut stuff, you got told how to, and you did it. Now everyone has their own brain and they think for themselves (rightly so), but in kitchens, you used to just listen to the boss and do what they said, does this mean they are smarter than you, or know better? no, but their the boss, and you are the onion chopper, so your gonna cut their onions how they want them cut, now good luck telling some of these kids 'how' to do something, they already know how better than you do.

Now, we are sitting around with the internet, and anybody who wants to fix their car, or chop an onion can look up 800 ways to do it, not all are right, not all are wrong, some are definitely wrong though hehe.

damn what was this about again? Ohya, knife with belly, I'm sure I could get use out of one as a big soupy mirepoix basher, but it wouldn't be what I would pick personally, there is a guy at my work who uses a wusthof classic that would absolutely love it I'm sure, does he have any knife skills? heck no. Usually people who rock chop everything haven't had to finesse cut too much stuff, have fun with the romas and the beet brunoise with the big bellied german. Sorry for the rant, figured I'd give my opinion as a pro who grew up rocking, I remember getting taught as a little kid, that my knife was like the tracks on a train hehe, I can see some people here getting lightheaded just thinking of that. Come on old school european trained guys stand up and represent your heritage! I still get upset when I hear people around here refer to henckels and wusthofs as 'bad knives' they aren't bad, just a different sort of tool, for a different sort of job.

Most cooks/chefs I encounter use a wustoff,cutco, hankles, or a santoku of some sort and truely belive it is the best and sharpest knife possible. I've even let then use a watanabe and dt itk. They hate them either for being too light, too fragile feeling, and having too flat of a profile to rock chop..

Regyarding judging chefs by their knives.. the best chef I've met lived and died by his whustoff classic 10 inch and boning knife. But still carried a shun nakiri, masahiro suji, and misono ux10.

Good stuff, folks! Very informative.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

My personal preference is less height and less belly - the tip of the knife should not be too 'high' as then it gets harder to use since once needs to raise the heel too much to be ale to make some cutting with the tip.

I'm a pro that grew up rock - chopping but I push, pull and rock, depending on the product, space and knife available. I still prefer a 50 - 52 mm height to a 240. It depends on if you are using an 8" or a 10" on how tall I like them. I do have gyutos at 48 that I love too, I just prefer 240's and above to start at 50 mm.

Home cook here, but I think "tall" is a separate issue from how much belly. I don't care all that much about a few mm of heel height--anything fairly close to 50mm for a 240 works well for me. Because I rock chop at least some of the time, having a profile with some curve from heel to tip is more important. An abrupt upsweep toward a high tip isn't functional, though, even for rock chopping. I wouldn't be being happy using a "wide" German chef's knife with a flat section at the heel and a ski tip curve up to the tip. The heel doesn't need to be tall to have the gradual curve that works for me and still keep the tip at a reasonable height.

I like a knife with a big belly, only saying

I grew up with some crude knives so when I got a Sab back then I was thrilled. An Au Ritz has all the belly I would want on a knife. I like a flatter profile like the Mosomoto KS has and my Carter, ITK, etc. I had a Shun Classic Chef once and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.