looking for yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menno

Reaction score
in the next few week/months i would like to buy a yanagiba. i would like to know you're recommendations.

the netherlands

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
yanagiba

Are you right or left handed?
left handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I would like to stay under 350 dollar

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

slicing fish and from time to time some meat
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
this is my first single bevel

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

i would like to have good edge retention and great fit and finish

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Having had a Hide yanagiba for a couple of years, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Being in the Netherlands, you should be able to get a Hide from Japan shipped within your price ceiling.

If you are interested and couldn't find the place, pm me.

You could also score a Doi yanagiba off rakuten too, and that would still be in your range.

can you post a link I can't find it????

As the OP happens to be left-handed it's likely to become a special order, I guess. So the budget may appear to be a bit tight.

yes, the doi and the hide yanagiba's are right handed. i'm not willing to pay 400/500 dollar.

LOL, totally missed that you live on the other side :lol2:

I'm a lefty too and will probably try a single-bevel knife as my next purchase. The two most affordable options I've found (and both have good reviews from what I've read):

Sakai Ichimonji from Blueway Japan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SA...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ab321f2f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SA...915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c68fb2f3

or a Yoshikane from Maxim - currently out of stock though

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/zensho-yoshikane-v2-yanagiba-left-handed-270mm/

I'm leaning towards a Sakai from Blueway, not only because it's available, but the price is right and I'm bound to mess things up while learning to sharpen a single-bevel. I'd be interested in hearing more options as well.

Edit: I saw you are looking for great fit & finish. For $100 I'm sure one of the Sakai's will require a little bit of work to fit your desires... but I haven't found anything remotely close to that price point for lefty yanagibas. So you get what you pay for. And isn't that half the fun anyways?

JDA, those two from Blueway are not Sakai Ichimonji. They are much cheaper alternatives.

Maxim probably won't stock any more new Yoshikane.

You are right! My apologies. If anyone could chime in with their experiences with the cheaper Sakai's I'd be interested in hearing it. It's hard to find (affordable) yanagibas as a lefty :laugh:

To the op, you don't happen to be the brewer at de Molen.

Back