You know you want it!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
$_57.JPG

I wouldn't have guessed olive wood, from the picture it looks like it has a ton of colour in it.

Who's this one by?

- Steve

The longer I stay here the more I think this will bankrupt me. I will have to save up for a Damascus at some point. They all look so beautiful.

The maker is unknown, you can find the knife on ebay if you really dig it, starting bid is only $0.59 :D

I feel silly now. Thought the pattern looked good. Can't tell any more

So question, other than the steel quality which I assume is bad. What are the clues that tell us this knife is off?

The maker is unknown, you can find the knife on ebay if you really dig it, starting bid is only $0.59 :D

Lol no :tease:. The "integral bolster" is a deal breaker. Impossible to sharpen. The only thing I like is the olive wood... I've just never seen olive wood so colourful haha.

The 'damascus' is a nice pattern, but the handle looks about as comfy as a plank of wood, and yeah, giganto bolster.

So question, other than the steel quality which I assume is bad. What are the clues that tell us this knife is off?

For me it was the "full integral bolster". If you want to see an integral look at knive by Rader, or Lisch. They're beautiful, flow into the knives, and don't impeded sharpening. Shigefusa yo-gyutos are also have a very nice integral IMHO.

That flat of a handle would also be uncomfortable/awkward to hold.

- Steve

Great question!

Someone (a custom knifemaker) once said to me that when he starts making kitchen knives he'll start by making them from damascus - "guaranteed to sell". I believe there's some truth to this. :)

So you didn't get to see the listing which didn't show the steel type/content so that's a giveaway if you come across that.

From looking at the picture you can see the monster damascus bolster tacked onto the blade - that's the giveaway here. A good kitchen knife would never have something like that mounted down into the edge as it would interfere with cutting and sharpening, plus it's adding weight for no reason - not even for looks.

The next giveaway, although less subtle, is the handle shape/configuartion/fit n finish - it's very low quality in all regards. The wood is junky, the sides are flat/boxy, and the handle's ass end is hanging about on the cutting board in use. Only beginner makers do the low ass end handle thing on kitchen knives - it's a hold over they take from making Bowie knives.

Finally, the blade profile, it's a full belly rocker with a small contact patch and high tip. Basically this profile is slow on the board, very in inefficient.

Someone picked up one of these Pakistan damascus things for $20 and Randy Haas reground it, then tried to harden it, but the steel was junk (no surprise really) iirc.

Regarding the design, there are plenty of US "custom" knife makers making equally poorly thought out (and in some cases, even worse) profiles masquerading as "chef's knives", and asking big money for them.

Great question!

Someone (a custom knifemaker) once said to me that when he starts making kitchen knives he'll start by making them from damascus - "guaranteed to sell". I believe there's some truth to this. :)

So I need to focus on the handle as well as the blade. I wasn't sure of the profile but now that you mention it. I can see it. I thought it was only a small difference in profile. I was wrong here. I Did notice the bolster but thought it was an intended design. I think I need to look at the whole thing not just the pattern in the steel. Your friend was right. Too easy to be distracted by the pretty.

Dave, I'm actually curious... How do you manage to find these knives all of the time? :lol2: Is it luck or skill?

- Steve

$0.59 sounds about right. Even if it were made from a MS, not my thing.

Stefan

if there was a picture of the butt of the handle, you could see that a screwdriver pops out from the tang like a swiss army knife.

Hot damn. If there's one of those mini wood saws back there then I'm sold, I need to be able to cut my fresh bread! And a corkscrew would seal the deal, just sayin'.

*Fingers crossed*

- Steve

Lol no :tease:. The "integral bolster" is a deal breaker. Impossible to sharpen. The only thing I like is the olive wood... I've just never seen olive wood so colourful haha.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got many pieces made of olive wood and none have coloring :scratchhead:

Hot damn. If there's one of those mini wood saws back there then I'm sold, I need to be able to cut my fresh bread! And a corkscrew would seal the deal, just sayin'.

*Fingers crossed*

- Steve

now here are some ideas for a handle maker ;)

Stefan

Back