Quantcast
Lets talk GRILLS!!! BBQ grills that is! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk GRILLS!!! BBQ grills that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Talim View Post
    Sounds like you should just get another weber kettle. I've always wanted a Konro though just because.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Do you want to be able at move the cooker by yourself?
    Yes I will need to be able to move the cooker. as desired.

Thanks for the input. I may be getting another Weber. But thought I would ask for other options and input B4 investing in a BGE.

Sounds like its not optimal for me. yet a great cooker.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Yes I will need to be able to move the cooker. as desired.

Thanks for the input. I may be getting another Weber. But thought I would ask for other options and input B4 investing in a BGE.

Sounds like its not optimal for me. yet a great cooker.
    The Cajun Grills look like good options. But, there aren't many grills lighter than Webers. The only thing I've never liked about Webers for grilling is the lack of cooking area of the 22 1/2 - the larger ranch kettle isn't worth the price IMHO.

Konros are cool, but to cook more than an hour, you need to use binchotan charcoal - which last longer amd burn hotter - because they're not very deep. You'll also have to cook in multiple batches because they're small. IMHO, they're impractical for more than 2 people unless you're willing to cook in multiple batches. I have a small round one and a medium sized one.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Mike - I have a Super Cajun. It gives you a lot of surface area if you need it. I find its easy to use only one side if you're cooking for less. If I had to guess I would say maybe three times the area of a large BGE. I've never used the XL like you have. Having said that, you can cook right to the edge of the grate on a BGE...they don't have cold spots in my experience. The Cajun runs a little cooler at each end, but not terribly.

I mentioned charcoal usage in my first reply. If that matters, the BGE is much better. With the Super Cajun, I fill and light two chimneys side by side. When they're ready, I dump the coals and top off with Hickory chunks. Another 10 minutes and you have a great fire. The BGE will hold a good amount of charcoal, but what doesn't burn is usable again. Ignore BGE's ash rake thingy and just use a cheap shop vac to clean out the ash. Also, ignore fire starters and use a torch.

Randy - based on the number of people you want to cook for, I would say a large BGE could work, but an XL would be better. That makes it even less portable. It's a great grill but I wouldn't say it's something to move around. Konro style grills do what they do well because of the shape, and that they are heavily insulated. But the ceramic used for the insulation makes them heavy, and a little fragile. If you're not looking for something that can do long slow cooks at lower temps, I think you would be very well served by a Weber kettle grill.

I just looked at the Cajun Grill. It looks awesome! gona read up on it now.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    Mike - I have a Super Cajun. It gives you a lot of surface area if you need it. I find its easy to use only one side if you're cooking for less. If I had to guess I would say maybe three times the area of a large BGE. I've never used the XL like you have. Having said that, you can cook right to the edge of the grate on a BGE...they don't have cold spots in my experience. The Cajun runs a little cooler at each end, but not terribly.

I mentioned charcoal usage in my first reply. If that matters, the BGE is much better. With the Super Cajun, I fill and light two chimneys side by side. When they're ready, I dump the coals and top off with Hickory chunks. Another 10 minutes and you have a great fire. The BGE will hold a good amount of charcoal, but what doesn't burn is usable again. Ignore BGE's ash rake thingy and just use a cheap shop vac to clean out the ash. Also, ignore fire starters and use a torch.

Randy - based on the number of people you want to cook for, I would say a large BGE could work, but an XL would be better. That makes it even less portable. It's a great grill but I wouldn't say it's something to move around. Konro style grills do what they do well because of the shape, and that they are heavily insulated. But the ceramic used for the insulation makes them heavy, and a little fragile. If you're not looking for something that can do long slow cooks at lower temps, I think you would be very well served by a Weber kettle grill.
    Thanks for the info, Neal. I remember seeing Byron of Butt Rub fame using the stretch Cajun to cook chickens on a rotisserie on the stretch. The design looks pretty good, but because I primarily barbecue, I would have had to go with the firebox option. That's one of the main reasons why I went with an XL BGE - so I could sleep a little during long cooks.

I have only a few complaints about my XL. I wish the platesetter was better designed, the grate came with handles to make it easier to remove when I have needed to refill the BGE, the nest was more stable so i could transport it but, for the most part, it's been great to use because I don't use that much fuel, the temp is relatively easy to control, and it's easy to clean up - I just use a big wet dry vac.
    Michael

Mike - I'm with you. If I did a lot of BBQ and wanted a single solution, then BGE all the way. Out of curiosity - how long can you go on an XL, at say 225F? I'm guessing a lot longer than with a large. I'll admit I don't do overnight cooks quite like I used to. Before kids, I could find plenty of friends to drink all night and babysit an offset. Now I mostly smoke with a Cookshack.

PS - As a correction to my post above - I said Konro grill - when I meant Kamodo grills.

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    Mike - I'm with you. If I did a lot of BBQ and wanted a single solution, then BGE all the way. Out of curiosity - how long can you go on an XL, at say 225F? I'm guessing a lot longer than with a large. I'll admit I don't do overnight cooks quite like I used to. Before kids, I could find plenty of friends to drink all night and babysit an offset. Now I mostly smoke with a Cookshack.

PS - As a correction to my post above - I said Konro grill - when I meant Kamodo grills.
    I don't know how the XL compares to a large because it never owned a large. I don't generally cook at 225 - I usually cook at 260 to 275 - but, using larger chunks of natural hardwood charcoal, I can stay above 250 for about 8 hours consistently using about 5 pounds of charcoal. I've also used Kingsford Competition on numerous occasions and, with about 5 to 6 pounds, I can get the temp to stay above 250 for about 7 hours consistently.

I actually don't think the XL will necessarily allow for longer cooks because, despite the larger diameter, it's shorter than a large. So, there's less space between the charcoal/fuel grate and the platesetter. I've put in roughly 8 pounds of charcoal (with space at the edge of the charcoal grate because I didn't want direct heat coming through the platesetter vents) and the platesetter was sitting on charcoal. I got about 10 hours above 250 using that amount of charcoal.

Speaking of offsets, that's what I'm looking at next. What offsets have you cooked on or owned?
    Michael

My offset is an old David Klose. Very bulletproof, but I do have to scrape it down and re-paint.

I have been grilling for about 13 years on the same large webber grill

For someone near salt water, this is a funny statement

The only salt my grill sees is the salt I put on the meat!!

Yep Its been 12 to 13 years on same grill. I would say I got my money's worth from this one!!

Availible Knives