Coming down the pike

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haburn

Reaction score
AEB-L short gyutos and parers.

haburnknivesgyutoparing.jpg

A banno bunka iteration:

haburnknivesbannobunka.png

Those look very nice! Bunka has very interesting lines.

Would it have a single or double bevel?

Would it have a single or double bevel?

As far as I know, banno bunka is usually double bevel. It's like a santoku with different tip.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What size (length and height of the blade) will the banno bunka have? I have a Koishi ko-bunka from Masakage nd it is a great little knife. Very practical blade shape.

This iteration is 170 length and 42 high at the heel. I like that BB's have a relatively flat edge profile and the tip has steep geometry which should increase strength there.

Three suji's and three 240 gyutos. The clay covered are 1095 post thermal cycling.

Cg3bUnJl.jpg

Picked up my custom grinder this week and a custom 14" wheel came in. This beast is sooooo quiet. :biggrin:

RC87JOzl.jpg

Looks like a different profile on the sujis too!

Yep, suji's have a different profile as well.
Here is some final sanding on the choil and spine of one of the 240's. In the last photo the bolster is being held in place by a jig that I made.
The bolster is stainless and will be getting red jasper recon stock spacer along with a black silky oak handle.
It's also getting a stained poplar saya with falling maple leaf engraving and a red anodized titanium saya pin.

JxdfiLnl.jpg

8yWqzIFl.jpg

wBGHCrol.jpg

The handle is shaped and hand sanded. I put 3-4 coats of gun stock finish and sand between each coat. This helps fill in pits and also seals everything for extra protection.

INjEJxxl.jpg

Fresh out of an acid bath. Heavy 240 in 1095, 3mm spine above the heel. A. blackwood dovetailed to nicely figured cocobolo.

CpzjaYOl.jpg

Final hand sanding on a 240.

uB26hrPl.jpg

I probably do my maker's mark a little differently than most, but the concept is the same. I put down some blue masking tape and then use a laser to engrave the mark. This allows me to quickly adjust the size of the mark. Once that is complete I use a power source and electrolyte solution to get a deep etch into the blade.

MPRCec0l.jpg

Milling out a slot in the spacer for a precise fit.

0NoW8GZl.jpg

Assembled and shaped. Next move up to finer grits.

h4See0ml.jpg

All hand sanded and the finish just needs to dry. Really nice figure in Burl Source's silky oak!

f0XxkGtl.jpg

New toy for the shop! Platen with 36" radius (equivalent to a 72" wheel) and a cooler plate. :biggrin:

5FuXHHBl.jpg

Choil shot of a 210 gyuto that I used the new platen with. Slight hollow and thin.

RkF1CeQl.jpg

A few peelers and this gyuto right out of liquid nitrogen bath (cryo). :cold2:

75I9U48l.jpg

This is konosuke re-handle. I had just pulled the handle off - all you need is a little heat and some patience and it slides right off. The handle thickness varies quite a bit so I will put a light taper so the thickest section is right at the shoulders.

lWRurlLl.jpg

The kono is in a house-made jig for grinding the shoulders flat and true for a clean mate between the shoulders and the bolster. This is photo is after I finished grinding/filing. The tang isn't centered in the shoulders, but it's closer to center than when I started. The slot in the bolster will be milled off-center to accommodate this.

DKeI9cfl.jpg

Something fun in the works. Not pictured - titaniums. Haha!
AEB-L. Titanium. Lots of carbon fiber. YES.

n4Yn2Lhl.jpg

Put me on the list when Le Tigre comes in!

Very cool. When I grow up, I want a milling machine also...

Stefan

YES! Le Tigre! I'm glad you guys knew the reference.

Back