Quantcast
Coming to DC...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to DC...

Coming to DC...

I'm planning a trip to DC April 11th weekend with the three kids (7,8,9YO). We're planning on riding the trolly around the city but would love some suggestions on where to stay. We're coming from Raleigh, NC.

Also if anyone has suggestions on places eat too. My children are very adventurous eaters frogs legs, octopus, steamer clams, pig ears are some of their favorites. Of course it doesn't have to be exotic but not too price either.

Your advise is most welcome.

Love to connect with any KKFers too
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

You should come by my restaurant. PM me when you have a chance.

You should come by my restaurant, Zaytinya, as well. I'd also suggest the other restaurants in our group, Oyamel and Jaleo. Interesting food, reasonable price, atmosphere casual enough that lots of people bring children. PM me if you're interested. Also in our neighborhood, Daikaya for ramen, Raskia for some of the best Indian food in the country, and Shake Shack for a solid burger and fries.

I no longer live in DC, but you should check out Fiola Mare. Chef Melfi is a beast in the kitchen and the best chef I have ever had the pleasure to work for. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Hit up tkern's place, Zaytina and add in Green Pig Bistro (chuckthebutcher) and you will be a fat and happy camper and have an appreciative family as well. Suggestions on where to stay depend on if you want to be in DC or if right outside in Arlington/ Alexandria are okay as well. And do you need to be near a subway stop or do you plan to drive from place to place?

I'd be happy to meet up, or maybe have you all stop by and visit. I have a Sansaire now, so you can stop in the first day and get some short ribs going, and we can eat them right before you head back home

Right off the top of my head I always recommend Eden Center in Falls Church. Great Vietnamese food and atmosphere. Cheap too!

There is this place in Arlington, I can never remember the name of it or where it is (my wife always found it for me), that makes killer Ethiopian food. It's in a little strip mall that is all Ethiopian stores and it has a little older woman that cooks everything. I wish I could remember the name or where it was, maybe somebody here that lives in the area knows. If you happen to drive by a place that matches that description, stop and eat there, its great.

Wow, I will be in DC at the same time doing the whole Smithsonian tour. If you have time we should grab a bite at any of the KFF's places.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbrother View Post
    There is this place in Arlington, I can never remember the name of it or where it is (my wife always found it for me), that makes killer Ethiopian food. It's in a little strip mall that is all Ethiopian stores and it has a little older woman that cooks everything. I wish I could remember the name or where it was, maybe somebody here that lives in the area knows. If you happen to drive by a place that matches that description, stop and eat there, its great.
    I think Ethiopian food is a great suggestion -- one of my favorite cuisines, and if your family has never tried it, it should be a distinctly different (and pleasurable) experience. No eating utensils, for example; one tears off pieces of the sort of sourdough pancake (injera) and scoops up the food, which is typically of the consistency of thick stew, and tasty vegetable dishes. The meat dishes tend to be a bit spicy, using the distinctive spice, berbere. The Arlington restaurant that snowbrother is thinking of might be Ethio or Dama. But no need to go there just to have Ethiopian food; there are many excellent ones in DC, e.g., Dukem.

Ktern and ChefCosta, just sent you a PM, thank you for the gracious offer. I certainly would like to dine at your Restaurants. I have also PM Wildboar and MikeHL to see if they could join us.

LarryB and Snowbrother, thank you for these suggestions. We will definitely be visiting an Ethiopian place too. Looking into Dama!!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.