Quantcast
Coming to DC... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming to DC...

Try Cafe Berlin... I have heard great things about it.
    "Meat, vegetables, a fish, an all-around kitchen knife including the bread. It is unsuitable for the thing which is too hard because a blade is thin." -Engrish

I'll second the votes on Zaytinya (one of my favorite places) and Green Pig. I haven't made it to Art and Soul yet, but hear good things about it, and look forward to getting there someday.

Thanks Travis for being such a great host. It was nice meeting Dave, Dennis and Bill and their families. This was easily one of the most memorable meals of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We definitely had an epic dinner at Art & Soul. Travis did not hold anything back. It was great meeting up with forum members from out of the area. You were all fortunate to be here at the peak of the best crop of cherry blossoms in quite a few years, plus nice warm temperatures. And it was very nice of Bill to supply the excellent bottles of wine. Mike, I hope your trek to NYC this morning wasn't too screwed up by the heavy rains.

Thank you Chef Mike Costa of Zaytinya and Chef Travis for an outstanding dining experience. Great to meet David (Wildboar), Mike (MikeHL) and Bill.

At Zaytinya, it was my girl and our three children (7,8,9 YO). To be honest, there were so many choices from soups, salads, vegetables, seafood meats... I was overwhelmed. Plus, the thing I like least about dining out is picking out my food. I'd much rather have the chef send me out what he likes, and that just what Chef Costa did. We have fourteen dishes served to us over the course of two hours.

Beet Salata
    Portakal Salatasi
    Crisply Brussels Afelia
    Seasonal Mushroom
    Octopus Santorini
    Sea Scallops
    Lamb Bahar

Since we weren't ordering, there were many other dishes that were served too. Including three or four desserts.

Service ran like a swiss watch. Chef was gracious to come to our table several times and talk to us about the dishes. The first thing that struck me about Chef Costa was his humility. His kitchen was busy but in control. All of the 21 cooks working there were focused but not frantic. Over and over, tasting every mean and adding the proper amount of seasoning and herbs to the final dish. The service was impeccable. We had a waiter that walked us through the dishes as they came out. I liked that the restaurant had servers and bus people bringing out food and clearing and wiping the table between rounds. Mr Costa also brought me outback to point out some unique things about his kitchen. He has some Sous Vide rigs running so that made me smile. We talking about the food groups philosophies and a bit about Chef Jose Andres. That dining experience raises the bar for me on how good food can be. The ingredients were in such balance but never boring. Unfortunately I only have on pic but this was the lamb.

Name:  IMG_3645.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  12.3 KB
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Excellent! Always awesome to hear about this kind of experience with forum members. Definitely echoes my experience at KnyfeKnerd's restaurant.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Saturday night we met Travis at his place Art & Soul. There was about thirteen of us including six adventurous young eaters. Because of the mayhem in DC that day (Cherry Blossom Festival), our Trolly was running about 30 minutes late. Travis brought Bill and I into the kitchen to see the back of the house. Kitchen was very and orderly too. Lots of food preparations in various stages. He has a twenty gallon cambro filled with fermenting chillies they use in various sauces.

He showed us some of his knives...

For dinner we had a plethora of dishes. Some we choose and some the Chef choose. It started with a charcuterie and cheese plates. Then salads and nibbles. I'll be honest I was already KO before the main course was rolled out. Travis brought out their infamous fried chicken and seafood. I had the lamb shank that was in part cooked Sous Vide. Perfectly tender, soft meaty but not gamey at all. Took most of it home to have the next morning. Sorry my phone ran out of juice so I don't have any shots of the dishes but I do have a pic of next days leftovers.

Great meeting all of you. thanks again Chef Costa and Chef Travis for all your hospitality. What an amazing community!

Name:  IMG_3720.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  13.6 KB
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Thanks Mucho Bucho for the write up ! It truly was a awesome experience meeting everyone for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Mike, I hope your trek to NYC this morning wasn't too screwed up by the heavy rains.
    Nope it wasn't too bad, had a nice relaxing day on the Amtrak. I was surprised by the comfort and room in coach. The train pulled up at 5:30 in the middle of NYC rush hour so ... Other then massive culture shock I'm alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the great write up Mucho Bocho! It was fun having you in and your daughter's note was adorable. I'll have to check out Art&Soul soon. My buddy from the Citronelle days, Wes Morton, is there too.

Wes is the big cheese there. I've only met him once, briefly. Mike, you have worked with the biggest known chefs in DC -- your resume must be jaw-dropping!