250 mm S35VN Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Just finished this one up for a customer...

Blade is 250 mm, S35VN, heat treated, cryo, and tempered to finish at HRC 61-62, with a stone rubbed finish. Yes, you read correctly. At this hardness, S35VN is a royal PITA to finish, regular paper abrasives just weren't "cutting" it. This will likely become a regular in house routine.

Bolster is tri color Mokume, (copper, brass and nickel/silver)

Handle scales are some of Marks Arizona Desert Ironwood, with white G10 liners, stainless and mosaic pins.

Thanks for looking.

Looks like you found a possible solution that may work for you. The finish is very nice I think. At what grit level did you finish it to? I've considered trying rust erasers but wasn't sure if the abrasive would work well enough on wear resistant stainless.

Looks great. But how it will behave on stones (if it was such a PITA to finish)?
It will be harder to sharpen. Pay off, it will hold an edge longer. Also depends on the stone. Some have told me it skates like its on glass, others have found slight differences compared with their other knives. Depends on your set up, and what you are used to. If you use Henkel's and compare it to this, you will find a huge difference. Not so much if you have used knives in a 61+ Rockwell range, there isn't so much difference.

Because of the vanadium in the steel, it is tough to work. It eats sand paper. That is why i used a stone. And a cheap one at that. Much easier.

It will be harder to sharpen. Pay off, it will hold an edge longer. Also depends on the stone. Some have told me it skates like its on glass, others have found slight differences compared with their other knives. Depends on your set up, and what you are used to. If you use Henkel's and compare it to this, you will find a huge difference. Not so much if you have used knives in a 61+ Rockwell range, there isn't so much difference.

Because of the vanadium in the steel, it is tough to work. It eats sand paper. That is why i used a stone. And a cheap one at that. Much easier.

I can say it holds an edge much longer than a lot of stuff I've used. Although I don't mess too much with AS or other carbons/cladded for gyuto. The SV is really impressive. It gets nice and toothy and doesn't wear much and we use the crappy Polly boards at work. I have only needed to touch mine up once in 3 weeks and I went 5k. 8k. And quick finish on a 15k natural stone that I use for certain steels that respond to that sort of grit, it stays very sharp for a long time. Compared to konosuke, vg-10, even AEBL but not my DT. It's a close draw with the DT AEBL. The knives are too different for a real comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back