Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: takayuki blue #2?

takayuki blue #2?

Anybody use this knife and have an opinion about it? It seems interesting on paper...monosteel blue#2 / laser-ish. Someone had asked the question a while ago and i still haven't seen much input. i came across it when someone pointed to the newly arrived (and gone) yusukes on blueway. I tried to find reviews/opinions to no avail. i think the closest i got was "...gets screaming sharp". which i guess is the first step...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item58ac93c01c

I think most people that like blue steel prefer wa handles and thats why there seems to be very little feedback on this knife. Its just not a big seller.

that's a good point.
    do you think it's a general preference for wa's or the combination of yo on a light blade that makes the difference? members do seem to lean towards wa handles but i sometimes see some yo love in the form of Hiromotos, Carbonext / tkc etc and a decent amount of customs.
    Those of you who've handled laser wa's and their counterpart laser yo's find there to be a big difference? i suppose that a 60 to 70% lighter knife would make a big difference. balance point moves back on the yo etc...
    anybody prefer a yo laser to a wa laser?

Quote Originally Posted by andre s View Post
    that's a good point.
    do you think it's a general preference for wa's or the combination of yo on a light blade that makes the difference? members do seem to lean towards wa handles but i sometimes see some yo love in the form of Hiromotos, Carbonext / tkc etc and a decent amount of customs.
    Those of you who've handled laser wa's and their counterpart laser yo's find there to be a big difference? i suppose that a 60 to 70% lighter knife would make a big difference. balance point moves back on the yo etc...
    anybody prefer a yo laser to a wa laser?
    I would never choose a Hiromoto, TKC, etc. over my Gesshin Ginga, and I've owned a Hiromoto and currently own a real TKC.

One thing to think about is the point of reference people have when they state their opinion. They may be recommending the only knives they've used.

I much prefer a wa handle because of the balance and ease of switching grips and hand position on a wa handled knife vs. a western handled knife. And I used to be a devoted western handled knife person. Now, I rarely consider buying a western handled knife.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I'm curious as to where you picked up on the idea that it's a monosteel blade. I didn't see it called out on the linked page.

Quote Originally Posted by snipes View Post
    I'm curious as to where you picked up on the idea that it's a monosteel blade. I didn't see it called out on the linked page.
    I'm wondering this as well.
    From the pictures, it looks like a mono-steel knife.
    Perhaps the cladding was done to completely cover the sides so that the core is only revealed on the edge bevel? Seems highly unlikely especially for a knife this thin.

Quote Originally Posted by snipes View Post
    the linked page states: Blade--- Double-Beveled Yasuki AoKouNo.2(Blue No.2 Steel) made from iron-sand/Hitachi Metal. For clad knives, blueway usually explicitly states that the knife is clad (eg for tojiro dp - Blade---Double-beveled Cobalt alloy clad 13 chrome stainless steel)

Im pretty sure i asked blueway at some point, and they confirmed that it is a monosteel blade

yes, someone in the previous thread i mentioned said they confirmed monosteel with Keichi at blueway. I double-checked with a rakuten seller (last week) who in turn confirmed it with the maker.
    i may just have to pull the trigger on this one out of pure curiosity...

This knife can be found at rakuten?