Quantcast
Sharpening on 6000+ stones
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharpening on 6000+ stones

Sharpening on 6000+ stones

What exactly do i need to look for when sharpening on high finishing stones?
    After creating a burr on the lower grit stones and then remove it, i get to the higher finishing stones and i can see that the blade is polished, aligned, etc....so what's next ? When do i know that i finished with a 6K stone and i can move to another stone or i'm done sharpening ?

A 6k stone will raise a burr just a smaller one. After 6k I de-burr, then strop and de-burr again. I don't have a yanagi so I don't go above 6k in fact for some knives I stop at 3k for a toothier edge.

Strop till you drop!

Gyuto diamond. Yanagi chromium.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

can the primary grind be polished with 8k stone to remove the patina without scratching the steel ?

With the stone, you will most defiantly change the appearance of the blade.
    To remove patina you can you Bar Keepers Friend and a pad. Just scratch lightly and patina goes away in 10 seconds. Make sure you remove the patina before sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by adicrst View Post
    What exactly do i need to look for when sharpening on high finishing stones?
    After creating a burr on the lower grit stones and then remove it, i get to the higher finishing stones and i can see that the blade is polished, aligned, etc....so what's next ? When do i know that i finished with a 6K stone and i can move to another stone or i'm done sharpening ?
    When I stare on my lower stones and get my Burr I do not De-burr until it does so on its own as I progress to higher stones ( this is Normally well before I get to my 1000 grit ) where I refine the edge for the next step of stones up to 8000 level from here it is on to polishing then to micron paste & Leather a 4 boarded type I built for this very reason & if required for (Razors Yes it is Needed ) or Finer cutlery my preference .

+ Reply to Thread