Quantcast
Chamber vac vs. bar vac for sous vide
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamber vac vs. bar vac for sous vide

Chamber vac vs. bar vac for sous vide

I was looking into getting an anova and the subject of vac sealers came up. I looked at them and the cheapest I found in oz are 2.5k. Would they really make that much difference to the process to justify the price? Would you know anything more suitable? I am not sure how different are they from the food savers. What would you recommend?

Rami, have you checked out the Sansaire immersion circulator? Supposedly you can use regular ziploc bags with them. I think I'm going to get one over the anova. If I can use regular zip bags then all the better. If not then I guess I'll still be getting some sort of sealer.

I meant chamber vac in the original post. Bar ?? sealers can be had for 100$.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Rami, have you checked out the Sansaire immersion circulator? Supposedly you can use regular ziploc bags with them. I think I'm going to get one over the anova. If I can use regular zip bags then all the better. If not then I guess I'll still be getting some sort of sealer.
    I will need to look into it as well. Not sure if ziplock bags are going to stop the water coming in.

Check out this thread. I think daveb got a vac master which is $700ish

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...nova-what-next

ETA: I guess the vac master is on the list and not been gotten lol. Sorry about that

This gets touched on here occasionally. A strip sealer is adequate for the home/casual user and sous vide. It is not an ideal solution but a serviceable unit can be had in the 200ish range, in the US. I would avoid the "Food Saver" brand because of reliability concerns and complete lack of customer support.

That being said my next item up on the toy list will be a chamber sealer. I expect to pay in the 600 range, probably for a ARY Vacmaster 112 though I've been told PS is coming out with a price competitive model for home use.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    This gets touched on here occasionally. A strip sealer is adequate for the home/casual user and sous vide. It is not an ideal solution but a serviceable unit can be had in the 200ish range, in the US. I would avoid the "Food Saver" brand because of reliability concerns and complete lack of customer support.

That being said my next item up on the toy list will be a chamber sealer. I expect to pay in the 600 range, probably for a ARY Vacmaster 112 though I've been told PS is coming out with a price competitive model for home use.
    Dave, what does PS stand for?

Oh, I second no foodsaver. Meh

What's a good strip sealer

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Erilyn, I don't see why Sansaire should be prior in terms of usability for ziploc? Function is pretty much the same with the Anova.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/s...iku-anova.html

I'm looking into vac sealers, but have been happy using Ziploc Vacuum bags since they came out. They also don't take up any counter space, food lasts a long time in the freezer and they work for sous vide. I suppose there's an argument for the long term cost, but you can get them and a hand pump at the grocery store and start now vs doing nothing while "saving" for a power unit.

+ Reply to Thread