Sous Vide Chamber vac vs. bar vac for sous vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
I was looking into getting an anova and the subject of vac sealers came up. I looked at them and the cheapest I found in oz are 2.5k. Would they really make that much difference to the process to justify the price? Would you know anything more suitable? I am not sure how different are they from the food savers. What would you recommend?

Rami, have you checked out the Sansaire immersion circulator? Supposedly you can use regular ziploc bags with them. I think I'm going to get one over the anova. If I can use regular zip bags then all the better. If not then I guess I'll still be getting some sort of sealer.

I meant chamber vac in the original post. Bar ?? sealers can be had for 100$.

Rami, have you checked out the Sansaire immersion circulator? Supposedly you can use regular ziploc bags with them. I think I'm going to get one over the anova. If I can use regular zip bags then all the better. If not then I guess I'll still be getting some sort of sealer.

I will need to look into it as well. Not sure if ziplock bags are going to stop the water coming in.

This gets touched on here occasionally. A strip sealer is adequate for the home/casual user and sous vide. It is not an ideal solution but a serviceable unit can be had in the 200ish range, in the US. I would avoid the "Food Saver" brand because of reliability concerns and complete lack of customer support.

That being said my next item up on the toy list will be a chamber sealer. I expect to pay in the 600 range, probably for a ARY Vacmaster 112 though I've been told PS is coming out with a price competitive model for home use.

This gets touched on here occasionally. A strip sealer is adequate for the home/casual user and sous vide. It is not an ideal solution but a serviceable unit can be had in the 200ish range, in the US. I would avoid the "Food Saver" brand because of reliability concerns and complete lack of customer support.

That being said my next item up on the toy list will be a chamber sealer. I expect to pay in the 600 range, probably for a ARY Vacmaster 112 though I've been told PS is coming out with a price competitive model for home use.

Dave, what does PS stand for?

Oh, I second no foodsaver. Meh

Erilyn, I don't see why Sansaire should be prior in terms of usability for ziploc? Function is pretty much the same with the Anova.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

I'm looking into vac sealers, but have been happy using Ziploc Vacuum bags since they came out. They also don't take up any counter space, food lasts a long time in the freezer and they work for sous vide. I suppose there's an argument for the long term cost, but you can get them and a hand pump at the grocery store and start now vs doing nothing while "saving" for a power unit.

Erilyn -

PS is for PolyScience:

https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/

As to the original question....I started with a Caso strip sealer. It does a passable job, the bags are heavy enough to resist puncture etc. But you can't seal liquids, and the vacuum is not strong enough to provide compression. I now use a Vacmaster. Various models should be available on Amazon in the $500 - 600 range.

It doesn't come close to a good chamber unit, but or around $170 I'm real happy with the VacMaster Pro260 for home use.

Good call Mano I have a 10% discount coupon for webstaurant.com This never ends does it?

Dave Arnold has some things to say about Ziplock and a lot about sous vide on the cooking issues blog.

Link ? For those of us with poor Google fu

I get charged twice the money for a vac master here. :( need to work out an importer or something.

Thanks Erilyn , just checked, shipping = 300$. Not sure if the wife will go for it thou. Will need to find a local brand or something more cost effective.

:bigeek:

That's just crazy. Why are they so much more expensive over there than here? I know importing will add extra costs but double? That's nuts. Do you VAT like Europe as well?

There are no vac/sealers in Oz? :scratchhead:

There are no vac/sealers in Oz? :scratchhead:

There are but all I could find are very expensive.

Dear Rami

At precent one only new Vacumatic 168 is $ 6,900.00 + GST and transport.

Kind Regards

Vacumatic Australia PTY LTD

Sales

Maybe I am looking at the wrong places. I donno

I've been using this strip vacuum sealer for both sous vide and food saving. http://www.sealandpack.com/vacuumsealer.htm Their price off ebay is a bit cheaper than website price though.

The company locates in NSW and has a commercial chamber sealer for sale as well.

Back