Quantcast
Menus!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menus!

Menus!

anyone have scans or pics of cool menus? Check this out.... It's a menu from Lutece when my father ate there in 1977 iirc

Cool, don't have any but love to read them. And I could go for a bit of foie gras en brioche with a glass of Sauternes right now...

Stefan

I do not have any old menus BUT I do have a copy of "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price (yes, that Vincent Price. He was apparently a foodie before we had the term foodie) from 1965. In it are hundreds of recipes, from both Vincent and his family and restaurants all around the world that he loved. Also included are menus from all of the restaurants (nearly 70) that provided recipes. Most places I have never heard of, but there are some that are familiar. It is a really interesting read and does have some good recipes. And seeing the the prices from 1965 is wild. How about côte de bœuf from The Four Seasons for $18 (serves two)?

In the back it has amazing charts for equivalency (1 avacado = 2 cups, cubed) and caloric values (1 ear of cooked corn = 65 calories); and lined blank pages for your favorite guests, your own recipes, wines you have tried, etc. The front inside cover lists the majority of the common spices and what each is good for, and the back inside cover has measurement conversions, cooking temperatures for sugar, etc. It is just an incredibly well thought out and useful cookbook, even if the food is outdated by 50 years. It would be a great book to recreate concept wise, and is kinda similar to Culinary Artistry by Dornenburg & Page. If you ever see it at a yard sale, grab it.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I have that book great read and nice pictures .
    Vincent was a gourmet for sure .

A recipe from A Treasury of Great Recipes:

Kalua Pig (Pig Roasted in Pit)
    Serves 75-100

Ingredients:
    • Shovel
    • Wood
    • Rocks
    • Banana Tree Leaves
    • Ti Leaves
    • Potato Bag
    • Gunny Sacks
    • Kerosene
    • Matches
    • Chicken Wire
    • Whole Pig
    • Hawaiian Rock Salt

Included are directions from the Chef of the Hotel Hana-Maui about how to dig the pit, place the wood and rocks, light the fire, place the pig, where to add more rocks, how to wrap the pig in leaves, and how long to cook (6 hours for a 150lb pig) the beast.

Funky stuff.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

And if you don't know who that gentleman is put your knife down and step away from cutting board.

any brave people care to take a guess who this distinguished person is?

Why Auguste Escoffier of course.

Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post
    And if you don't know who that gentleman is put your knife down and step away from cutting board.
    Sincerely.

I wish I still had some of my old Russian Tea Room menus from the 80's. They were fun.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread