Media Menus!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnxiousCowboy

Reaction score
anyone have scans or pics of cool menus? Check this out.... It's a menu from Lutece when my father ate there in 1977 iirc
2011-04-24_21-04-33_531.jpg

2011-04-24_21-04-43_345.jpg

Cool, don't have any but love to read them. And I could go for a bit of foie gras en brioche with a glass of Sauternes right now...

Stefan

I do not have any old menus BUT I do have a copy of "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price (yes, that Vincent Price. He was apparently a foodie before we had the term foodie) from 1965. In it are hundreds of recipes, from both Vincent and his family and restaurants all around the world that he loved. Also included are menus from all of the restaurants (nearly 70) that provided recipes. Most places I have never heard of, but there are some that are familiar. It is a really interesting read and does have some good recipes. And seeing the the prices from 1965 is wild. How about côte de bœuf from The Four Seasons for $18 (serves two)?

In the back it has amazing charts for equivalency (1 avacado = 2 cups, cubed) and caloric values (1 ear of cooked corn = 65 calories); and lined blank pages for your favorite guests, your own recipes, wines you have tried, etc. The front inside cover lists the majority of the common spices and what each is good for, and the back inside cover has measurement conversions, cooking temperatures for sugar, etc. It is just an incredibly well thought out and useful cookbook, even if the food is outdated by 50 years. It would be a great book to recreate concept wise, and is kinda similar to Culinary Artistry by Dornenburg & Page. If you ever see it at a yard sale, grab it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that book great read and nice pictures .
Vincent was a gourmet for sure .
img6778.jpg

A recipe from A Treasury of Great Recipes:

Kalua Pig (Pig Roasted in Pit)
Serves 75-100

Ingredients:
  • Shovel
  • Wood
  • Rocks
  • Banana Tree Leaves
  • Ti Leaves
  • Potato Bag
  • Gunny Sacks
  • Kerosene
  • Matches
  • Chicken Wire
  • Whole Pig
  • Hawaiian Rock Salt

Included are directions from the Chef of the Hotel Hana-Maui about how to dig the pit, place the wood and rocks, light the fire, place the pig, where to add more rocks, how to wrap the pig in leaves, and how long to cook (6 hours for a 150lb pig) the beast.

Funky stuff.

And if you don't know who that gentleman is put your knife down and step away from cutting board.:theline:

any brave people care to take a guess who this distinguished person is? :biggrin:

1) Haven't really thought about a menu in a long time! its been a while since I've eaten out. This thread has inspired me: a) find the original menu from my fathers old restaurant and show everyone my dad's favourite meals., I know he kept that thing somewhere. b) get out of the house more!

and quick edit: to steeley how do you make that smiley? I can't seem to find it but its amazing! :danke:

Whew. I thought this thread was gonna be people posting menus where they work, and was horrified at the thought of posting my own. Everyone around here talking about reverse-sphere sous vide buffalo tenderloin caviar in pomegranate-pistachio foam, I have things like "The Kickin Chicken: chicken breast with bacon and pepper cheese."

:jumpy:

I can not take credit for that that's all Dave and it is about the last one on the more list.:theline: it is called the line.

Im surprised that restaurants I visit doesn´t use the color red more often. On tables, in the meny and so on....
The color red makes humans more hungry...

Thanks for link to the article ,seems like a great project every young chef should do 3 menus .
resolver.jpg
[/IMG]

Back